Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Am looking to move to the Melbourne area on a 457 Visa from Mumbai,India. Have a few questions regarding the place and cost of living. My wife, our 9 month son and I are looking to move around Dec 09. Can you help me with the following

Is it better to live in the city and use the public transport system or live in the suburbs and have a car ? What are the good suburbs to live in? Alternatively where in the city would be ideal ?

Typical costs in a month for a family of 3
1. Rentals for 2/3 bedroom apartment in the city / suburb
2. Food and groceries
3. Utilities (electricity, gas, water)
4. Local transport
5. Entertainment (night out atleast once a week)
6. Household expenses (domestic supplies, maid for cleaning once a week etc)
7. Personal products
8. Medical costs and health insurance
9. Sport & hobbies (Gym, tennis )
10. Child care / day care
11. Mobile phone, home phone, internet, cable TV
12. Car lease payments / EMI for a mid sized car (toyota maybe)
13. Car insurance and annual maintanence costs
14. Fuel costs
15. Annual taxation rates

Also are there any other taxes other than income tax that needs to be paid by a 457 holder ? Anything specific to the state ?

I know its a long list but would be grateful to anyone who can take the time out and repond. I will have to sign off on a compensation package pretty soon and knowing the costs are essential.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,389 Posts

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
Hi vv

welcome to the forum.

as suggested, have a look at the cost of living thread, alternatively have a look at A list of things to do when you arrive - Parts 1 to 4 in the sticky threads sticky threads.

About the car, it depends, if u can afford, remember its not just office that one has to go to, it comes handy in emergencies and it depends, if u can afford one right away. it definitely is more convenient to have a car. Most people keep a car but still prefer usinf public transport for daily travel for work. living in city is more expensive, have a look at the sticky threads (yet again) for links to real estate sites, that will give u an idea about the rentals. the closer they are to the CBD, the more expensive. so basically u spend on the commute and save on the rent. I know people living in suburbs and they are more thn happy, they travel 30 mins every morning/evening.

have a look at Moving to Sydney Melbourne Brisbane Adelaide? Find where to live cityhobo.com - Home this will give u an idea about suburbs and areas in melbourne

Hope this answers most of what u asked.

for anything else, give us a shout

cheers
anj

·
Registered
379 Posts
Welcome VVpal to the forum,

Cost of living is discussed in detail in the following thread: http://www.expatforum.com/expats/australia-expat-forum-expats-living-australia/2678-cost-living-figures.html please go though it, you will find it very useful.

Did you manage to arrange job there in Australia, as December and Jan would be full of holidays and would not be good time to hunt for job.

Best Regards and Good Luck.
He is talking about VISA 457 and relocation by Dec so he must have the offer at hand now

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
He is talking about VISA 457 and relocation by Dec so he must have the offer at hand now
oook. its employer sponsored visa.:)

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
You could also use Google to find some of the answers.

Dolly

1 - 6 of 6 Posts