Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody,

My employer intends to post me to our branch office in Melbourne for 4-5 years, therefore I am planning to move there with my family and our pet cat.

However, from what I have read on-line so far, it looks like a daunting enterprise not only because the very strict requirements in the matter of animal quarantine, but also because I do not see a lot of pet-friendly houses or apartments for rent, out of a very few luxury houses in South Yarra (which are way above my means).

I would therefore be very glad if somebody who went through the same experience could give me some useful tips on how to handle this move.

Thank you all in advance, and cheers!
Arturo.

·
Registered
23,871 Posts
Hello everybody,

My employer intends to post me to our branch office in Melbourne for 4-5 years, therefore I am planning to move there with my family and our pet cat.

However, from what I have read on-line so far, it looks like a daunting enterprise not only because the very strict requirements in the matter of animal quarantine, but also because I do not see a lot of pet-friendly houses or apartments for rent, out of a very few luxury houses in South Yarra (which are way above my means).

I would therefore be very glad if somebody who went through the same experience could give me some useful tips on how to handle this move.

Thank you all in advance, and cheers!
Arturo.
I think this is a good place to start

https://www.petairuk.com/taking-pets-to-australia

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
5,693 Posts
In terms of the actual legal requirements, the only reliable source is the Australian Department of Agriculture and Water Resources.

Their website is always kept up to date with current requirements. :)

Direct advice from them to ExpatForum:

The best advice that we can give for the prospective imports of dogs and cats to Australia is that people should always contact the Australia Government Department of Agriculture and Water Resources to ensure that they are aware of our import requirements and processes which may change from time to time.

Here's their current guide: http://www.agriculture.gov.au/cats-dogs/step-by-step-guides

You'll find some pet-friendly places on real estate websites (like realestate.com.au) if you select "Pets allowed" in the refinements. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
We will potentially be moving (from India) to Melbourne in Dec this year with our two cats. Since India is a non approved country, we plan on taking them first to a group 3 country, and then on to Australia. For the cats' move, we have been speaking to a pet relocation agency who will be assisting us. Its a bit pricey, but those with pets know that we cant leave our lil floofs behind.

Like Kaju suggested, the best place to start is by reading the step-by-step guide at the link she/he has provided. If you are from an approved group 2 or 3 country, you will have it easier than me (as you can directly take your pet from your country to Australia, eith all necessary paperwork of course). Make sure your pet is adequately vaccinated and has them documented as well. You should then proceed to get rabies antibody titres (called RNATT) done at any one of the 6 (or was it 8?) labs they (Aus) approve of. Once you get favorable results, your pet has to wait for atleast 180 days before they can enter Australia. Once in Aus, the pet has to be in quarantine for a min of 10 days.

The thought of my lil babies being locked up in quarantine is depressing enough, but the rules are there for a reason and the prospect of them being with us after those days, is a definite reason to smile.

Hope I helped. Dont get overwhelmed by the number of formalities, take one step at a time, and keep breathing :)

Sent from my BLN-L22 using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts