Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

my girlfriend has been offered and accepted a job in Perth starting in Feb 2010 and her status will be a permanent resident. The job is initially on a 2 year contract. We are both British and have been together for 10 years. The school for whom she'll be working is dealing with the visa applications etc and can apparantly work miracles when it comes to visas. Neither of us has a criminal record, we both have degrees, i'm a skilled plasterer and she of course has a job to go to, we have no kids and only one cat who will be coming with us.

I have a few questions that the personal experiences of you guys who have already emigrated might be able to shed some light on as I'm sure like most things they seem a hell of a lot less daunting once they're done than when they're starting.

1. Am I right in thinking that I can 'tag' on to my girlfriends visa as a spouse / partner?

2. As a permanent resident, if some reason her job were to dissappear, could she or I just apply for another job and stay or would we have to come back to the UK.

3. We have quite a few unsecured debts here some on a payment plan and some not, I have heard a number of times that after 7 years our debts will be wiped if we just walk away from them in the UK. Has anyone done this? If so does it cause you a problem when visiting the UK? i.e. will I be handcuffed at Heathrow the minute i set foot back in the UK for a visit?

4. What is the criteria for becoming an Australian citizen? Is it time? Work? Having Aussie kids? or simply just a question of how good you look in a cork hat?

5. If we could get citizenship does that mean that you have to relinquish your UK citizenship or do you just have both?

The long and short of it is that we really want to move to Australia and when we get there we want to stay there (I spent 10 months there a while back and loved every minute). If anyone out there can give us some idea of our chances based on the info given we would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Karl

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
1. Am I right in thinking that I can 'tag' on to my girlfriends visa as a spouse / partner?
Yes, if your partner has PR then you will have the same. You will have to prove your de facto relationship http://www.immi.gov.au/media/fact-sheets/35relationship.htm Which visa will she be applying for?

2. As a permanent resident, if some reason her job were to dissappear, could she or I just apply for another job and stay or would we have to come back to the UK.
When you have PR you are free to live and work anywhere you like, for however long you like, no restrictions whatsoever.

3. We have quite a few unsecured debts here some on a payment plan and some not, I have heard a number of times that after 7 years our debts will be wiped if we just walk away from them in the UK. Has anyone done this? If so does it cause you a problem when visiting the UK? i.e. will I be handcuffed at Heathrow the minute i set foot back in the UK for a visit?
I can't help you with this one, I was under the impression once you have a debt it will stay with you so if you were to leave the UK with debts, they will still be there if you were ever to return. Perhaps someone else can clarify?

4. What is the criteria for becoming an Australian citizen? Is it time? Work? Having Aussie kids? or simply just a question of how good you look in a cork hat?
All you need to do is be in the country for 4 years after your initial date of entry. Australian Citizenship – Becoming an Australian Citizen (the cork hat will be optional :lol: )

5. If we could get citizenship does that mean that you have to relinquish your UK citizenship or do you just have both?
You will have dual nationality and can keep both your UK passport and have a new australian one.

HTH
Dolly

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

thanks for that, very helful and helps set the mind at ease a bit. Now if in your infinite wisdom you wouldn't mind nipping out to the shed and knocking us up a time machine out of old lawn mower parts and last weeks newspaper so we don't have to survive three and half months of British winter until we can get out there and enjoy the beach and the sun, that'd be grand.

Karl. :)

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
I'll do my best Blue Peter effort with some sticky backed plastic, a coat hanger and some PVA glue......will let you know how I get on :lol:

Dolly

1 - 4 of 4 Posts