Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi we are planning to move to Portugl in October this year and would appreciate any advice or help we can get! We bought some land with a ruin on it a couple of years ago and are planning to relocate so we can eventually build something on it instead of the ruin. There we be myself, my partner (Steve) and my daughter Tia(who is 12) and a rather large dog. (Have already got the dog fully passported) The problems I have are as follows

Although we have a campervan to travel over in and will cope with it as a home for starters. Would anyone suggest long term rentals somewhere near Messines. I have a craving for a proper loo and a proper shower rather than the one in the camper lol.

As my daughter is 12 can anyone suggest a good school in the area. She is not fluent in Portuguese and only knows the very basics. So it would need to be english speaking. Also what would we need to do to enrol her in a school.

Are the internet dongles easy to get hold of and can someone recommend where?

And lastly as we are not married would that be a problem with obtaining residency?

I would be very greatful to any advice given as every website I read seems to give a different opinion.

Thanks

Alison

·
Registered
666 Posts
........We bought some land with a ruin on it a couple of years ago and are planning to relocate so we can eventually build something on it instead of the ruin. ................................

Thanks

Alison
Hi Alison and welcome to this forum.
I wish you well in your plans and I am sure that there are many folks who will come along and offer advice and assistance.

I am a little intrigued by your land, my reasons being that when we were looking for a parcel of land to build on, (the house is now complete btw) we were cautioned against the challenges that may or may not be presented by a ruin on a piece of land.

Have you checked this out, if not, I would think that may be another thing to start researching now.

Good Luck

HTH

Rob

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi and welcome

I can't offer any advice about the immediate area but I can say this, you won't find an English-speaking Portuguese (state) school. The only English-speaking schools you will find are the private and International ones.
I'm not sure what private schools might be in the area but I don't think there's an international one very closeby (Porches/Lagoa might be your nearest)

If you have several thousands of pounds a year to spend on schooling, of course, this won't be a problem.

At 12, I'd say she's about the oldest I'd want to be putting a child into the Portuguese system. My son was just coming up to his 11th birthday when he started and he's coping well now, thanks to an additional year of private, one-to-one tuition at home, for an hour a week. Many of the Portuguese Kids at that age tend to speak fairly good English so the social aspect isn't so bad but don't expect much teacher/pupil interaction in English.

With good support outside of school (extra private lessons, for example) and parents learning alongside (essential or you'll be no good with homework help!), I'd say it could be done from age 12 but it'd be hard work on all sides.

English options are really only international schools - at a price!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hi

Yes we have checked all the details and what we will need for planning etc. We can actually rebuild what is already there as it is registered as a dwelling on the deeds. As our ruin in situated within 7 acres of land, which we also own, you can imagine why we want to build here and why we bought it in the 1st place. Our nearest neighbour is over 5 km away. Though I might be asking you about advice during our build as we have no experience at all with building let alone in Portugal.

Alison

·
Registered
666 Posts
Yes we have checked all the details and what we will need for planning etc. We can actually rebuild what is already there as it is registered as a dwelling on the deeds. As our ruin in situated within 7 acres of land, which we also own, you can imagine why we want to build here and why we bought it in the 1st place. Our nearest neighbour is over 5 km away. Though I might be asking you about advice during our build as we have no experience at all with building let alone in Portugal.

Alison
Hi Alison

I fully understand, neighbours can, though not always, be a bit of a ******** whatever.

Happy to help on the Building front if I can. You know where I am.

Rob

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Suggest you contact your local Camara reference schools, which might dictate where your looking for rental property.

This site is quite useful for an overview of education and contacts STRUCTURE OF EDUCATION SYSTEM IN PORTUGAL and this is main Government site,Ministry for Education and Science :: Ministries :: Governo de Portugal but you need to get down to Regional and then local level, suggest you befriend somanyhands personal experience counts for a lot especially in getting the required and correct paperwork from UK school/s that you'll need.
October you'll miss intake, sorry but no idea what effect that might have.

First thing to realize with building, if it's a ruin you'll need plans, approval and a licensed builder to do the work. Oh and the money:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Many thanks for all your help so far. Ive looked into International schooling and although this looks the best option by farm we are not millionaires lol and there is no way we can afford £10K a year plus. Is there no sort of intermediary school that does some lessons in english and some in portuguese? Although she can get by in Portuguese its really very basic though she does speak and understand it better than us! We are now debating either putting it off which we really dont want to do or maybe home schooling her for the last few years.

Ali

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Portuguese education is good, depends on child but younger they are quicker they adapt and integrate, the longer you put it off the more difficult you make it for her.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
She will be 13 when we move over and that would put her in year 9. I am just thinking that a state school would be much to difficult for her, you know how teenagers can be at the best of times, withouth the language barrier. But we have planned a trip over beforehand so we can go around all the local schools and see what we think. I have already contacted many of them and am awaiting replies about how much help she would get. Am sure within 6 months she will be pretty fluent anyway. Have also just sorted her out some lessons before we arrive too so hopefully that will help too.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Is there no sort of intermediary school that does some lessons in english and some in portuguese?
No. Not unless you happen to find a private, fee-paying one.
Don't under-estimate how long it will take her to learn this way either.
The more English she is exposed to at school, the longer it will take her to become fluent/proficient in Portuguese.
For her to be fluent in 6 months, she will need to be in a 100% Portuguese environment at school. At 13, that's a huge ask.
But do check out all the local area schools. They will (well, they should!) offer some support in the form of an extra lesson or two in "Portuguese as a second language" (Lingua Nao Materna) but it's a long haul and what schools offer can range from one 45 minute lesson a week (as my 12yo had last school year) to 3 x 90 minute lessons a week (which he has this year but it won't be happening next year due to that format not working with mixed-level students in the class)

Support and private lessons at home will be essential at that age, I think.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi we are planning to move to Portugl in October this year and would appreciate any advice or help we can get! We bought some land with a ruin on it a couple of years ago and are planning to relocate so we can eventually build something on it instead of the ruin. There we be myself, my partner (Steve) and my daughter Tia(who is 12) and a rather large dog. (Have already got the dog fully passported) The problems I have are as follows

Although we have a campervan to travel over in and will cope with it as a home for starters. Would anyone suggest long term rentals somewhere near Messines. I have a craving for a proper loo and a proper shower rather than the one in the camper lol.

As my daughter is 12 can anyone suggest a good school in the area. She is not fluent in Portuguese and only knows the very basics. So it would need to be english speaking. Also what would we need to do to enrol her in a school.

Are the internet dongles easy to get hold of and can someone recommend where?

And lastly as we are not married would that be a problem with obtaining residency?

I would be very greatful to any advice given as every website I read seems to give a different opinion.

Thanks

Alison
Hi Alison
i think with abit of tuition she will get on fine in the portuguese school system,all my children have done from various ages and she maybe kept done a year but that really does not matter.We tried the private school at lagoa what a waste of time and money...you will be giving her a gifrt with a second language..once she makes friends it will come easily..joining clubs or something can help as well.
You will need letter from school in england ,they like it stamped from school headmaster,they love stamps..obviously coming in october you miss september start,but nothing impossible.
It is such a great thing for you all, we live near lagos so i dont know any schools over in messines..
good luch
Edwina..
my girls are 12

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks

Thanks to everyone for all you help. We will be visiting schools in our local area within the next month or so. I can seem to find a list or anything online so we are just going to go over and do it the old fashioned way. Are school term times roughly the same as in the UK? Dont want to be booking flights in a school holidys and find they are all closed!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks to everyone for all you help. We will be visiting schools in our local area within the next month or so. I can seem to find a list or anything online so we are just going to go over and do it the old fashioned way. Are school term times roughly the same as in the UK? Dont want to be booking flights in a school holidys and find they are all closed!
Hi ,schools run now untill june 19th when they close for summer.We do not have half term in may,the odd days holiday .Private schools run as uk schools.Being 12 she will be going into secondary school,have you tried putting in escolas secondario em messines and sites will come up for all schools,very easy..get numbers etc then..google.pt
ok Edwina

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi ,schools run now untill june 19th when they close for summer.We do not have half term in may,the odd days holiday .Private schools run as uk schools.Being 12 she will be going into secondary school,have you tried putting in escolas secondario em messines and sites will come up for all schools,very easy..get numbers etc then..google.pt
ok Edwina
p.s. if you want to come and have coffee and chat,we have cafe in espiche,dont think thats to far,your daughter can meet my girls and have a chat,if that helps.Edwina

·
Registered
52 Posts
ok Edwina
Just to clarify, it's not called Ensino Secundário until years 10, 11 and 12 in Portugal! It's still Ensino Basico up to and including yr 9 (approx 15 yrs old)
You'd need to be googling Ensino Basico 2/3 (or EB 2/3) instead.
A quick google gave this info
Google search for EB2,3 Messines

She'll be in year 8, perhaps (what year will she have just done in UK?) which would put her in the 3rd cycle (yrs 7, 8 and 9)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks again, yes I would love to meet up. I have a million and 1 questions as you can imagine. Am really excited and looking forward to our adventure, just worried about my daughter. As you have girls the same age talking to them might help her. I googled Espiche and its just the other side of Lagos so not too far at all and I love Lagos. Am currently looking into language lessons over here because, if nothing else, we will need to know the basics at least.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks again, yes I would love to meet up. I have a million and 1 questions as you can imagine. Am really excited and looking forward to our adventure, just worried about my daughter. As you have girls the same age talking to them might help her. I googled Espiche and its just the other side of Lagos so not too far at all and I love Lagos. Am currently looking into language lessons over here because, if nothing else, we will need to know the basics at least.
ok
let me know when you over then..
as i say dont worry,children adapt so well,
Edwina

·
Registered
123 Posts
Many thanks for all your help so far. Ive looked into International schooling and although this looks the best option by farm we are not millionaires lol and there is no way we can afford £10K a year plus. Is there no sort of intermediary school that does some lessons in english and some in portuguese? Although she can get by in Portuguese its really very basic though she does speak and understand it better than us! We are now debating either putting it off which we really dont want to do or maybe home schooling her for the last few years.

Ali
Hey Ali,
Vale Verde runs at about EUR5500/year so no where near the more normal international school fees. Their primary program is half English and half Portuguese and the secondary program is all English. It is in Luz, but many children from the CVO area attend there.
good luck.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts