Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I know everyone's talking about Visas and such, I was wondering about moving stuff over to the UK? For those of you who have already moved over, which moving service did you use? The one as advertised through the UKBA or did you use something else? I'm just trying to look for deals/prices/ pretty much any info you can. If I do get the visa *knock on wood* I'll be moving from Pennsylvania to the UK if that helps :) Cheers.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
How much are you moving? If you're taking an entire household, a shipping container is probably going to be the least expensive-sometimes you can get a really good rate on a shared one; if you are moving one to ten boxes, the US post office (USPS) or United Parcel (UPS) may be the least expensive.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How much are you moving? If you're taking an entire household, a shipping container is probably going to be the least expensive-sometimes you can get a really good rate on a shared one; if you are moving one to ten boxes, the US post office (USPS) or United Parcel (UPS) may be the least expensive.
hey!! hmm, interesting.. Pretty much all I'm moving are clothes and the other random contents either in drawers or elsewhere..I do have quite a bit of stuff, I guess I'll have to see how many boxes I make with everything I own xD Luckily enough, my grandparents are moving out too, so me emptying my bed room only helps them xD Thanks for the info :D

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hey, I know everyone's talking about Visas and such, I was wondering about moving stuff over to the UK? For those of you who have already moved over, which moving service did you use? The one as advertised through the UKBA or did you use something else? I'm just trying to look for deals/prices/ pretty much any info you can. If I do get the visa *knock on wood* I'll be moving from Pennsylvania to the UK if that helps :) Cheers.
I went to IntlMovers for quotes the other day. I'm moving from California, am not moving much furniture (I guessed at about 1000 lbs total), and asked for quotes with and without packing included. They sent it out to about half a dozen companies, and three responded with either quotes or repeating the same questions I'd already asked. All in, it looks like it's going to be less than $2000 for door-to-door service with packing.

I'll be looking at specific companies later, but started where I did so I could ping several companies at once to get a general feel for what we were in for.

·
Registered
112 Posts
hey!! hmm, interesting.. Pretty much all I'm moving are clothes and the other random contents either in drawers or elsewhere..I do have quite a bit of stuff, I guess I'll have to see how many boxes I make with everything I own xD Luckily enough, my grandparents are moving out too, so me emptying my bed room only helps them xD Thanks for the info :D
I was ruthless in cutting down my possessions, and only moved clothes and odds and ends that fit in suit cases. If that's all you're moving, look into excess baggage charges through the airlines. Because I flew premium economy instead of economy, I had two free bags. I flew with my husband who also got two free checked bags. And then we each paid for an additional bag at $50 for the first excess bag each. So I moved 5 large cases of clothes, etc, and my wedding dress in my hand luggage, for airfare for my husband and myself and $100. If I were flying by myself, I would have gotten rid of a few more things, and only moved 4 bags, which would have cost me $150 in total, based on the excess baggage fees for premium economy passengers for the airline I used. I flew Virgin, but all of the major airlines will have similar policies I think.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@Liz - Yea, I checked out some of the prices for doing that, and I think it's a little out of our price range to just get the premium although that is a nifty idea. I'd rather have a moving service since then I don't have to worry about fitting it all into my bag.. I have some books and stuff.. and a ton of films that i really would rather not lose. I could probably ditch my vhs tapes.. but i'd need to bring over my PS3 and other consoles. Yay being a gamer xD

·
Registered
631 Posts
I went to IntlMovers for quotes the other day. I'm moving from California, am not moving much furniture (I guessed at about 1000 lbs total), and asked for quotes with and without packing included. They sent it out to about half a dozen companies, and three responded with either quotes or repeating the same questions I'd already asked. All in, it looks like it's going to be less than $2000 for door-to-door service with packing.

I'll be looking at specific companies later, but started where I did so I could ping several companies at once to get a general feel for what we were in for.
Your situation is much like mine, about 1000 lbs, I have two chests that came with my family when they emigrated from Wales. I think my family would find it ironic that they will be going back to within mile from where they were made. I don't suppose that I can avoid import duties because they are returning, even though it is after 100 years. ;-)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Your situation is much like mine, about 1000 lbs, I have two chests that came with my family when they emigrated from Wales. I think my family would find it ironic that they will be going back to within mile from where they were made. I don't suppose that I can avoid import duties because they are returning, even though it is after 100 years. ;-)
haha seriously? What a coincidence! Who would've thought, right?! :D

·
Administrator
50,053 Posts
If you're moving "household goods" in connection with a move to the UK, you should be able to avoid any import duties on the items. Normally, you can import your household goods in connection with a move up to a year after your arrival. You may need to show them your visa and/or residence permit to clear customs, but normally it all goes pretty smoothly.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you're moving "household goods" in connection with a move to the UK, you should be able to avoid any import duties on the items. Normally, you can import your household goods in connection with a move up to a year after your arrival. You may need to show them your visa and/or residence permit to clear customs, but normally it all goes pretty smoothly.
Cheers,
Bev
Is this through Worldbridge or something? :O

·
Registered
631 Posts
Cheers,
Bev
Thanks Bev,

I was wondering a bit about moving thing to our "new" home (although we've lived there for years - whenever we are home (UK)).

M

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry for double posting... but apparently that PDF is about the Olympic Games... might offer some assistance though *shrug*

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
if I can, I'm going to bump this thread since I still really haven't found a place. I've looked into Freight fowarding... but so many places are for commercial stuff.. I have too much to just take on a plane with me unfortunately :S No furniture... just things... If anyone can offer any advice, I'm all ears!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hi lalchicy, I'm also moving from Pennsylvania to the UK (London) and wondering how you ended up faring with moving companies. Thanks for any advice from your experience!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would use an international moving container (I think they come on set price per container). And of course you have to make a very detailed list of your belongings. Better start now! Good luck!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi lalchicy, I'm also moving from Pennsylvania to the UK (London) and wondering how you ended up faring with moving companies. Thanks for any advice from your experience!
Hey Phillychic, sorry I didn't get back to this until now. I actually just bit the bullet and just brought over 3 suitcases. I was really trying to find a way to send at least one box over and my best deal was with the US postal service. I was able to send a relatively big box weighing 23 lbs for $123 which is much better than UPS' like $500/box or whatever. Hope that helps :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
My wife and I simply searched BBB for local moving firms with good rep, who had partnerships with movers here in the UK. We got a shared container, with furniture, clothes, toys and kitchen ware. We had all in all about 60 items, weighing in around 3500lbs. It cost us best part of $4000 door to door, with insurance and packing included. We did multiple quotes, and they were all around that price.

If you can, leave your stuff, do it. Even if it means putting stuff in storage and bringing stuff back as and when you go back to the US. It is extremely expensive, and the removal company at the UK end is a bit of an unknown. The whole debacle was ten times as stressful to my family, when compared to the actual visa acquiring process. The US company were awesome, the UK company were not. The guys who actually delivered the stuff were fine, but the UK people tried to charge us for an import inspection which never took place.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.