Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if we can bring all our possessions to Egypt. i.e. TV, computer, washing machine, as well as the usual furniture and clothes.
Are there any restrictions / taxes ???

I know bring a car in is difficult - aren't there some laws about 200% import tax or only being able to drive the car for 6 months.

Any advice most welcome:confused:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi Aqua, I don't think you will have any problems but you will pay a huge anount of tax and duty. We are moving out in December and have managed to get most electrical items over as excess baggage. The cost of TV, washing machine etc over there is roughly the same as over here.

Does anyone know if we can bring all our possessions to Egypt. i.e. TV, computer, washing machine, as well as the usual furniture and clothes.
Are there any restrictions / taxes ???

I know bring a car in is difficult - aren't there some laws about 200% import tax or only being able to drive the car for 6 months.

Any advice most welcome:confused:

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
how much

Hi Aqua, I don't think you will have any problems but you will pay a huge anount of tax and duty. We are moving out in December and have managed to get most electrical items over as excess baggage. The cost of TV, washing machine etc over there is roughly the same as over here.
Do you pay tax if it is in excess baggage ??
Do you know how much the tax and duty is ??

are the normal brands of TV (Samsung/LG/Sony/Panasonic) and Washing machine (AEG/Beko/Bosch) etc available in Egypt

Are there any website showing prices?

·
Registered
56 Posts
You don't pay any tax on excess luggage

You can't find out the exact amount of tax/duty as it depends on how they feel on the day...we have friends who recently shipped their entire house and tax cost them £2,700

You can get all the leading brands, we have just bought a 32" Sony Bravia flat screen for £382

There are web sites for Abu Ashara Family Market and Senzo but if you put in google furniture shop electrical shops etc it will usually pick some up

Hope this helps any more info please feel free to ask as I had to ask all the same questions myself

Do you pay tax if it is in excess baggage ??
Do you know how much the tax and duty is ??

are the normal brands of TV (Samsung/LG/Sony/Panasonic) and Washing machine (AEG/Beko/Bosch) etc available in Egypt

Are there any website showing prices?

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mmm its not easy to find sites like Currys, or dixons in egypt

can you buy stuff on-line and have it delivered like in the uk ???

·
Registered
56 Posts
I suppose if you can read Arabic lol but when you go shopping delivery is usually included, they tend to want to deliver while you are still standing in the shop!!!!!

mmm its not easy to find sites like Currys, or dixons in egypt

can you buy stuff on-line and have it delivered like in the uk ???

·
Registered
25 Posts
you can buy everything in Egypt. There are no online sites for shopping. But as said delivery is free of charge. We bought a TV from Dubai and paid taxes in Egypt and ended up to much more expensive than buying it from the agent in Egypt.
All brands are available. Just use the yellowpages to locate the shops.

·
Banned
12 Posts
egypt have many mall centers to like city stars in nasr city have all brands in the world we can go tour in city stars , u will feel u r in uk

·
Banned
20 Posts
Hi there , you will pay a huge anount of tax and duty............

buy all you wanna from here Better at least have the warrant and same prices ...

·
Registered
14,309 Posts
Speedwing the site is for people to ask questions and hopefully be pointed in the right direction.
I know you are trying to help and that is great.
We have members who pay to advertise their services.
By all means tell people that there are free newspapers that have adverts for everything in Arabic and English but it is unfair to our paying advertisers to put the link in here.

Maiden

·
Registered
56 Posts
Sorry Maiden

QUOTE=MaidenScotland;203051]Speedwing the site is for people to ask questions and hopefully be pointed in the right direction.
I know you are trying to help and that is great.
We have members who pay to advertise their services.
By all means tell people that there are free newspapers that have adverts for everything in Arabic and English but it is unfair to our paying advertisers to put the link in here.

Maiden[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
so . .

Am I right that if I ask for any info like "where can I buy a TV" and someone comes back with a shop name or website then is that "advertising" ???

·
Banned
20 Posts
Am I right that if I ask for any info like "where can I buy a TV" and someone comes back with a shop name or website then is that "advertising" ???
theres in cairo many malls like (karfour , city stars ,radio shack , ragab sons ) many stores to buy

·
Registered
617 Posts
but if you are not in Egypt, it is nice to know some prices BEFORE you travel, if you have to decide to buy it first or buy it in Egypt. That is why I wrote the name of the webshop!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts