Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Moving next week to get things sorted out before starting work on the 18th at Golf de L'Isle Adam, North of Paris.

Need to open bank account, organise phone/internet, register with local town, get furniture,etc. for house, any advice, what to do or what not to do, other stuff to do would be a great help.

Anyone have any experience with customs, bringing personal belongings, kitchen equipment from Britain, I believe I may need an inventory list of items.

Thanks
Colin

·
Registered
110 Posts
Our household belongings came in a lorry on Eurotunnel and we didn't need an inventory, it wasn't even weighed before getting on the train! We brought all our major appliances with us, there was no way I was leaving my beloved cooker behind even though getting it up four flights of stairs was a struggle when we got here - there's obviously good reason why the kitchen is at the top of the house ;)
Good luck with the move.

·
Administrator
50,474 Posts
Don't know what you mean by "register with the local town" - but that's one you can cross off the list. There is no formal registration of residents in France. You might want to drop by the mairie to introduce yourself and maybe pick up some of the brochures they have on local amenities and transport (and maybe their list of town sponsored associations), but that can wait if you're pressed for time.

There should be no customs formalities for bringing your belongings from the UK (thank the EU for that). Bank account should probably be your first priority, because it will be needed for all the rest of the tasks - especially for depositing your pay before it flies out for rent, telephone, etc.

Stop by a conveniently located bank and ask to make an appointment to open an account. They should give you a list of the documents you'll need for the interview.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
As said - unless Scotland has become independent and left the EU and I missed it, you don't need to worry about customs for your own personal stuff. Nor do you probably need to 'register' formally with the town, unless you mean for healthcare in which case you do.
Best advice is to keep an open mind, take each step carefully and do a bit of research first - not that it's difficult, just that the French have slightly different conventions and different takes on things. It's best to approach everything as a learning experience to make sure you don't fall into the trap of getting things wrong just because you assumed everyone does things like they did in the UK. Tip number 2 is to keep your birth certificate (preferably a 'long' birth certificate) handy because you'll need it. Good luck. :thumb:

·
Administrator
50,474 Posts
As far as registering for the Sécu, that should be handled through your employer. They have a way of declaring a new employee without a sécu number - though once that is done, they may want you to go down to the URSSAF office to complete the process.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Yep, ignore my comment about registering for healthcare, I missed the bit where you said you are starting work straight away :doh: so all that should happen as if of its own accord

·
Registered
110 Posts
Oh, and about making an appointment to open a bank account, don't be surprised if it takes a week or maybe longer to get an appointment. We were given an appointment almost two weeks later, unless you live in a larger town the hours may not be what you're used to in Scotland, our local bank opens for 2 hours a day, 3 days a week and for 1 hour on a Saturday morning. Don't panic, live at the local pace :D

·
Registered
89 Posts
Moving next week to get things sorted out before starting work on the 18th at Golf de L'Isle Adam, North of Paris.

Need to open bank account, organise phone/internet, register with local town, get furniture,etc. for house, any advice, what to do or what not to do, other stuff to do would be a great help.

Anyone have any experience with customs, bringing personal belongings, kitchen equipment from Britain, I believe I may need an inventory list of items.

Thanks
Colin
I made an inventory, but never had to produce it. Would I make one again if I moved?? Oh yes!! Just in case... and it helps for contents insurance too :)

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
I made an inventory, but never had to produce it. Would I make one again if I moved?? Oh yes!! Just in case... and it helps for contents insurance too :)
Ditto - didn't need to show it for moving here, but invaluable once I got here.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Assuming you're renting the house you need to show proof of insurance before they give you the keys. Also before the contents is moved in you need to walk around the house with the agent to list the contents and condition. This is a very detailed list and can take 2-3 hours. In theory this is then compared to the statement then made when you eventually leave ... the difference then determines how much of your deposit if any is returned to you. My first landlord in France ripped me off on this and I wish I had known about the system in advance

Made sure you keep your passports and anything you want with you so it's not packed in the removals lorry

When we arrived we arranged to stay in a local hotel for a couple of days to give us the chance to unpack etc

Hope your move goes smoothly !

Best, Rick

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Rick8 said:
Assuming you're renting the house you need to show proof of insurance before they give you the keys. Also before the contents is moved in you need to walk around the house with the agent to list the contents and condition. This is a very detailed list and can take 2-3 hours. In theory this is then compared to the statement then made when you eventually leave ... the difference then determines how much of your deposit if any is returned to you. My first landlord in France ripped me off on this and I wish I had known about the system in advance

Made sure you keep your passports and anything you want with you so it's not packed in the removals lorry

When we arrived we arranged to stay in a local hotel for a couple of days to give us the chance to unpack etc

Hope your move goes smoothly !

Best, Rick
Thanks to all for help and advice
In France now and staying in a hotel for a couple of days, till we get the house sorted out, which is on the golf course, and have the use of it for a few months until we find somewhere more permanent.
Cheers
Colin

·
Registered
289 Posts
Thanks to all for help and advice
In France now and staying in a hotel for a couple of days, till we get the house sorted out, which is on the golf course, and have the use of it for a few months until we find somewhere more permanent.
Cheers
Colin
Bit late but have you filled in a P85 for HMRC - tells Revenue you are no longer a tax payer and I assume your employer is handling your health if not you need an S1.

If thats all done then have another glass and relax.....:cheer2:

·
Registered
25 Posts
we too had no problems with our personal stuff, we did two trips, one in a French reg van and one in a English van (with trailer), they just asked where we were going and if it was our home (which it was), i think with over 4000+ plus leaving the UK each week (which says something about the UK), they see it all the time, plus i think these guy's know who to check.

Good luck with the move btw

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.