Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone I'm moving to La Alcaidesa next week (to work in Gibraltar)

I got an apartment, deposit paid. I'm going to rent a car from RecordGo for 2 months, while I get my Spanish NIF card, so I can actually finance or lease my own.

I really know absolutely nothing about living in Spain. So I was hoping someone could shed some light on daily things. What are some grocery store chains to go to? What about hardware stores? Where would I go to buy bedding for my bed on day one?

what about internet connection & phone plan, I found a place called Yoigi which seems to have both a phone and a fiber connection for around 25 euro/month which seems very reasonable, are they any good?

How do you start the process of obtaining a NIF?

What is your favorite bank to use in Spain?

Working in Gibraltar is there anything special I need to do before I start? Such as declaring to an office that I'm starting work there?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just a little stressed only given 10 days notice to relocate and all. Thanks!

·
Registered
19,452 Posts
Hi everyone I'm moving to La Alcaidesa next week (to work in Gibraltar)

I got an apartment, deposit paid. I'm going to rent a car from RecordGo for 2 months, while I get my Spanish NIF card, so I can actually finance or lease my own.

I really know absolutely nothing about living in Spain. So I was hoping someone could shed some light on daily things. What are some grocery store chains to go to? What about hardware stores? Where would I go to buy bedding for my bed on day one?

what about internet connection & phone plan, I found a place called Yoigi which seems to have both a phone and a fiber connection for around 25 euro/month which seems very reasonable, are they any good?

How do you start the process of obtaining a NIF?

What is your favorite bank to use in Spain?

Working in Gibraltar is there anything special I need to do before I start? Such as declaring to an office that I'm starting work there?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just a little stressed only given 10 days notice to relocate and all. Thanks!
You need an NIE (número de indentificación de extranjero). This is to be obtained from una oficina de extanjería. You can locate them on this map
https://www.policia.es/documentacion/oficinas/oficinas_extran.html
In theory you can't work until you have an NIE as this number is used by social security in order to tax you. Ahhh, but you're working in Gib so then you probably don't need it...
If you've only been given 10 days, surely the company can help you out??

Supermarkets - you have big chains like Carrefour, Mercadona which are good places to start. There are also plenty of furniture shops (look for muebles) and also IKEA.

Banks - there are LOADS of threads about banks. People usually say go to one that has a branch near you although I literally can't remember the last time I physically went into a bank.

Internet etc - again LOADS of threads on here, just search

Ooops, time to go to work!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts