Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I will be moving to Melbourne soon with my wife under subclass 457 visa. My office will be in CBD. I would be given accommodation for the initial 2 weeks by my company post which I need to make my own arrangements.

I have checked a number of rental sites like Domain, Rental, MICM etc. and I saw that unfurnished houses/apartments seem to be the norm in Melbourne. Even white goods like Fridge, Washing Machine etc. are absent. In such a case, I was wondering whether it would make sense to rent a 1 BHK/Studio fully furnished apartment somewhere close to CBD after 2 weeks of my company accommodation so that I can research the suburbs I have shortlisted, in person. I was also a little skeptical of moving into a completely empty and unfurnished apartment within 2 weeks of landing in a new city.

My max budget is 400$ per week. A studio/1 BHK fully-furnished apartment is almost 400$ per week in Domain & RealEstate whereas I see listings for 2 BHK unfurnished apartments for 300-350$ per week. However, I am not sure whether I can arrange the fridge, washing machine, microwave etc. in such a short duration without it being all helter-skelter. Besides, the capital expenditure in 1 go would be too high.

Any recommendation for short-term furnished accommodation (3-6 months)would also be greatly appreciated. Also, I am hoping that since I am arriving with a job in hand, it would make it easier for me to procure a rental apartment.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

I would suggest to go for 2bhk un-furnished Apartment since you are staying there for a short time However you can save money. It would be helpful for you to Manage other Expenditures as well.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hi All,
I will be moving to Melbourne soon with my wife under subclass 457 visa. My office will be in CBD. I would be given accommodation for the initial 2 weeks by my company post which I need to make my own arrangements.

I have checked a number of rental sites like Domain, Rental, MICM etc. and I saw that unfurnished houses/apartments seem to be the norm in Melbourne. Even white goods like Fridge, Washing Machine etc. are absent. In such a case, I was wondering whether it would make sense to rent a 1 BHK/Studio fully furnished apartment somewhere close to CBD after 2 weeks of my company accommodation so that I can research the suburbs I have shortlisted, in person. I was also a little skeptical of moving into a completely empty and unfurnished apartment within 2 weeks of landing in a new city.

My max budget is 400$ per week. A studio/1 BHK fully-furnished apartment is almost 400$ per week in Domain & RealEstate whereas I see listings for 2 BHK unfurnished apartments for 300-350$ per week. However, I am not sure whether I can arrange the fridge, washing machine, microwave etc. in such a short duration without it being all helter-skelter. Besides, the capital expenditure in 1 go would be too high.

Any recommendation for short-term furnished accommodation (3-6 months)would also be greatly appreciated. Also, I am hoping that since I am arriving with a job in hand, it would make it easier for me to procure a rental apartment.

Thanks!
Just realized that the post is over 2 years old.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts