Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

We are moving to Melbourne from Jeddah, Saudi Arabia in Jan 2018, and looking to take all of our belongings with us. We have checked with some local freight forwarders here as well as Dept of Agriculture (Moving to Australia or importing personal effects/household goods) Immigration guide.

As per this guide, its a fairly straight forward process, with any soiled items and wooden furniture perhaps being subject to inspection. I wanted to ask from people, who have made similar moves to give me their input or tips to avoid any hassle.

We will not leave anything behind. So far we have packed our washed clothing, bedding, towels etc. I have brush cleaned all of our shoes to remove any stuck soil/dirt and packed them individually. Crockery has also been packed carefully. Next we will be getting our furniture packed, which will include 2 bedsets with side tables and chester drawers. We also purchased a new bunk bed for our kids room. This is still in original factory packaging. We will also clean and pack all of our kitchen goods (washing machine, microwave oven, kettle etc).

We have also packed a lot of personal hygiene and toiletries (2 boxes) enough to last us a year or so... My thoughts being, since we are shipping a 20 cu feet container anyway, might as well save some money and buy them cheap here. But my wife is a little concerned, if this can be any problematic :confused:

I would love to hear input from people who have made complete household moves.
Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Looking to hear from you as well brother Ahmad Kamal @TheExpatriate :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
@ bym007: You should always follow the principle, "less luggage, more comfort". Though you're shipping these in a container, through "transfer of residence", indeed the process would be hassle-free.

However, what you need to check is whether you really need to ship these from KSA. I'd personally suggest to take only the items you cant get in AU. Do keep in mind that the items you ship may be subject to some damage and may even render them useless, hence the cost spent on shipping would go waste.

Never take electrical or electronic items from one country to another, unless you really cannot buy them in the latter country. Power supply varies in KSA & AU, how are you having your appliance adapt to these? What about warranty or repair? Crockery and other kitchen ware may break easily, no matter how well you pack them. I'd suggest you to sell what you can and carry the cash, you can definitely buy the later models in AU.

Are you planning on renting/buying a house immediately when you reach AU or renting some temporary accommodation? In the latter case, you may have to store the goods once they reach AU, till the time you're ready to move them to your own premises, this would again attract some costs.

I'd therefore suggest you to work out both the costs and see which works for you. I feel you do not need to carry personal items for 1 year, when you can buy them in AU. Do you feel that you're going to be without a job for a year or you're planning to be easy on the job hunt?

This is based on my experience of shifting from multiple countries.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@ bym007: You should always follow the principle, "less luggage, more comfort". Though you're shipping these in a container, through "transfer of residence", indeed the process would be hassle-free.

However, what you need to check is whether you really need to ship these from KSA. I'd personally suggest to take only the items you cant get in AU. Do keep in mind that the items you ship may be subject to some damage and may even render them useless, hence the cost spent on shipping would go waste.
Thanks for your input.
This is our 3rd cross country move in 12 years, so we totally understand what you are pointing here, and in usual circumstances, this will make sense too!

We have thought about our move long and hard during past year or so. If any stuff should be carried over. We made a list of stuff, that must be shipped with us. This was clothes, personal items of sentimental value, and the likes

Then we calculated the cost of shipping it. Then, we calculated what items will need to be sold here in Saudi and repurchased again in Australia (like for like, apples for apples). The cost is prohibitive to begin with.

Never take electrical or electronic items from one country to another, unless you really cannot buy them in the latter country. Power supply varies in KSA & AU, how are you having your appliance adapt to these? What about warranty or repair? Crockery and other kitchen ware may break easily, no matter how well you pack them. I'd suggest you to sell what you can and carry the cash, you can definitely buy the later models in AU.
The electricity in Saudi Arabia and Australia are both running on 230V. Australia is on 230V 50Hz, while Saudi has recently switch to 220V 60Hz. We are only bringing electronics, which can handle this. It means TVs, microwave, kettle, etc. No fridge. Washing machine still not confirmed (as I didnt manage to pull it out and check its back label).

Are you planning on renting/buying a house immediately when you reach AU or renting some temporary accommodation? In the latter case, you may have to store the goods once they reach AU, till the time you're ready to move them to your own premises, this would again attract some costs.
We have family in Melboure, so we can crash with them. All of the stuff will go to personal storage for sometime, until we can sort out our accommodation.

I'd therefore suggest you to work out both the costs and see which works for you. I feel you do not need to carry personal items for 1 year, when you can buy them in AU. Do you feel that you're going to be without a job for a year or you're planning to be easy on the job hunt?

This is based on my experience of shifting from multiple countries.
Thanks. See how we did our calculations in my message above.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts