Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi not sure if this is on any other threads.
I'm looking into emigrating from the UK to Australia. I'm a degree educated electrical and mechanical engineer with over 10 years experience. What I'm interested in are there many jobs for this sector? How do I go about applying for visas and would an employer sponsor an engineer?
How much money is ideally required to move out to Australia?

Any help or advice would be welcome x

·
Registered
351 Posts
Hello.

Yes, there are jobs for your engineering background. I would suggest checking out some Australian online job websites such as seek.com.au , myseek.com.au .... The jobs in the sector you are asking about will likely be dependent in the industry you have work experience in.. manufacturing, automotive, energy, construction,etc.. as examples..

Yes, there are companies that will sponsor an engineer. However, you will have to have the specific skills and expertise that a company is looking for. The only way to find out is to apply for jobs. But with your background, you can probably apply for a skilled migration visa on your own. This is what I did.

Visit immi.gov.au which is the official website of the Australia's Department of Immigration and Citizenship... It can tell you the different types of visas you maybe qualified for. Please note, a big change is happening to the skilled migration program starting this July 2012. It is called Skilled Select. The website above will have a link to more information about this.

I would say it is best that you apply for the skilled visa now because once the Skilled Select program is implemented, it will be more competitive. The reason being the new program only allows you to send an Expression of Interest (EOI) that you will submit that lists your skills,education, etc. You will only be able to apply for a skilled visa if you are invited. The current skilled migration program allows you to apply and submit all the information. It will be up to the DIAC based on your information if you will or will not be granted a skilled visa.

Check out the website because the skilled visa program is under a points system. If you can qualify and meet that points, that will be the first step. The next would likely be to have your skills assessed and to determine if they are recognized in Australia. You will need to visit Engineers Australia to determine what you will need to have done.

In regards to my comment that it is best to apply now. But I think you will not be able to do so just because it takes time for your skills to be assessed. Also, you might want to take the IELTS if you need extra points.

·
Registered
43 Posts
You would probably need between £10 and £15k to obtain a visa, medical, skills assessment, IELTS, flights, shipping.

Costs can vary depending on how many people is included in the application.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.