Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking into moving to the USA from UK.. When I move can i immediately make a downpayment on a home/get a loan from bank? Do I need to build up credit first?

Also, how has anyone else moved their savings etc from the uk to usa?

thanks in advance

·
Administrator
50,381 Posts
Moving a savings account is usually not a problem. You just need to find an FX company (usually cheaper than a bank transfer) to do the conversion and transfer.

Getting a home loan is a whole different thing. Most banks will want you to have at least a year or two of credit history before they'll consider you for a mortgage. If you insist, you may be able to get a "sub-prime" loan through a broker or other channels. However, if you've been reading the news the last several years, you may remember the problems caused by the popularity of "sub-prime loans" just before the last big recession. Tread carefully.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
Slow down butterfly!

How do you plan to get a mortgage without credit history, work history? What do you know about home ownership and the costs associated with it in the US?

Moving funds UK-US is a frequent topic here. Pls use search option.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If we had the full amount in cash needed to buy a house in the USA, would there be anything to prevent us from doing this?
thanks

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
If we had the full amount in cash needed to buy a house in the USA, would there be anything to prevent us from doing this?
thanks
Absolutely not. Please consider closing costs which run 5% and more and property taxes. You generally find those ton the site of the county tax assessor. Do not trust your realtor! He/she is in sales and lives off commission. Trust but verify. We ended up with 3.5% annual tax on assessed value which went up every year.

Work your way through state real estate law. Deed of survivorship is accepted almost everywhere in case of death of a spouse. It moves ownership to the survivor without fees/filings.

BTW - why are you using your in laws to sponsor your AoS instead of self sponsorship?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for your help.

How much cash does my wife need to be able sponser me? I thought I heard it was $100,000? and since the money would be from our sold home here in the UK, would that be enough? Should we have my american in-laws sponser me on the i-130 form just to be on the safe side? He makes around $50,000 a year, is that sufficent?

thanks in advance

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
Thank you for your help.

How much cash does my wife need to be able sponser me? I thought I heard it was $100,000? and since the money would be from our sold home here in the UK, would that be enough? Should we have my american in-laws sponser me on the i-130 form just to be on the safe side? He makes around $50,000 a year, is that sufficent?

thanks in advance
Pull up your other thread. He has to make above poverty limit depending on number of dependants on his tax return plus the emigrant. Read Affidavit of Support and what his responsibilities are. It is not a signature and a could of tax returns! It also goes into detail on what the immigrant can use and how many times the poverty level is required for self sponsor.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ahh okay thanks...just a bit overwhelmed at the mo so pretty slow...lol

My (british) brother moved to the usa a year ago...he makes upwards of 50,000. Could he be joint sponsers with my father in law? He has a green card, not a citizen yet.

On the USCIS website "HHS Poverty Guidelines for Affidavit of support", it says under "125% of HHS sponsers"... "$46,425 for seven people." My FIL has him, wife, daughter(lives at home, 32 yrs old)and myself, wife and two young daughters. Both his wife and daughter have part time jobs. Would he technically be sponsering all of us or just me?
My two daughters and wife are all US citizens.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
ahh okay thanks...just a bit overwhelmed at the mo so pretty slow...lol

My (british) brother moved to the usa a year ago...he makes upwards of 50,000. Could he be joint sponsers with my father in law? He has a green card, not a citizen yet.

On the USCIS website "HHS Poverty Guidelines for Affidavit of support", it says under "125% of HHS sponsers"... "$46,425 for seven people." My FIL has him, wife, daughter(lives at home, 32 yrs old)and myself, wife and two young daughters. Both his wife and daughter have part time jobs. Would he technically be sponsering all of us or just me?
My two daughters and wife are all US citizens.

Thanks
I cannot follow your headcount. Number of people in household on his tax return plus the immigrant. The sponsor's income counts. You can use wife/daughter as co-sponsors. Yes, your brother can sponsor you. Have you read the instructions for Affidavit of Support on uscis.gov? Do you realize you can wipe your sponsors out financially?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts