Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there,

I'm moving to London in September 2014 to get my Master's degree at Goldsmiths University, and I am in need of some advice as to which neighborhood would suit my needs best.

I'm 25 years old, born-and-raised in NYC and currently live in Greenpoint, Brooklyn. Sure, I love my local cafes, bookstores, and health food shops, but what I appreciate the most is the immigrant community (Polish, to be specific), and the mom and pop shops that have been around for decades.

I'm looking to live in a neighborhood that is easily accessible to Goldsmiths (and/or Toynbee Studios), has a vibrant street culture (where the streets are not completely desolate at night), access to at least a couple of 24-hour bodegas/shops, some late night cafes, health food shops, and an overall safe community, but one that isn't overly-saturated with yuppie culture (like North Williamsburg). Most importantly, I would like to live in a neighborhood with an influential immigrant population.

People have mention Peckham, London Bridge, and East London, but I can imagine that it might be difficult to find a neighborhood that is awake past midnight on the weekdays.

Let me know what you think!

Thanks!

Esme

·
Super Moderator
17,992 Posts
London doesn't stay open 24 hours a day like NYC. There are licensing laws which mean pubs an restaurants mostly close 11-11:30. There are some 24 chain grocery stores scattered around but even they tend to close earlier on Sundays. What you are looking for just doesn't exist.

·
Registered
42 Posts
You may wish to try New Cross, Brockley or Deptford. But I agree, what you're describing doesn't entirely exist.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Agree with above. Goldsmiths is in the centre of New Cross - great transport links to the rest of London for anything that doesn't meet your needs. Also very multi - cultural. The areas mentioned are all nearby. Brixton is also another one to consider and weekends you can find a few late night/dawn breaking venues too!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Esme,

I'm a NYC transplant and my husband lives in London. I agree with most of the folks that have responded. There are huge differences between NYC and London. It is not a 24 hr city. The tube closes early, stores close early, bars close early. It's something you will have to adjust to.

Here's a quick NYC to London guide. It's not complete, but once I move to London, I'll have a better idea.

Brixton-Harlem
Shoreditch-Williamsburg
Whapping-UWS

I also found this article that might be helpful-
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/22/travel/22surfacing.html?_r=0

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'd reccomened Dalston or Stoke Newington in North East London, Dalston in particular has more of a late-night vibe, bars and cafe's stay open until 3 or 4 every night, convenience stores are 24 hours, Stoke Newington is just up the road, slightly quieter but a similar set up with lots of young creatives living there. Not next door to Goldsmiths but transport links really easy with the Overground train service, would take around 15-20 minutes.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Oh, also! If you wanted to be south closer to Goldsmiths, Peckham is great, its location between Goldsmiths and Camberwell art school mean that there are a lot of young creative people around, and there are quite a few cool night spots.

·
Registered
236 Posts
If you're only going to be at Goldsmiths for a year doing your Masters I think it's best to stay close by, so New Cross / Brockley. Even back when I did my Masters there you could find things to do any time of night. I don't know what course you're doing but I found being close by good so I could make the most of my time in the studios in the college - weekends etc.

Have fun!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.