Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband has received a job in Bankstown. We are extremely excited about our new adventure, but have many questions. Namely, where to live and schools for our active 9 and 3 yr old kids? Any advise would be much appreciated

G

·
Dont live anywhere near bankstown, its a gun ridden bogan hole! Its seriously way down the bottom of the list where I'd be taking my kids to live.

How far is he willing to commute? How well paid is the job? What type of property would you be used to/be after?

·
Registered
3 Posts
The western suburbs are a lower socio-economic demographic. If you move closer to the city, although more expensive he will be traveling opposite to most of the traffic...less time commuting = more time at home. If he will be using transport, then they should be less crowded. Best areas in (in my opinion) are lower north shore, eastern suburbs and inner west

·
Registered
346 Posts
Please Shel, it is not that bad. People used to say same about Redfern and it is a highly sought after suburb now. Bankstown used to be a bogan/refugee/welfare suburb. This is quickly changing as wealthier neighboring suburbs push “the undesirables” away.

If you are a female avoid staying there till late and both you and your husband, avoid local clubs and pubs. They are just a bit too rough. Otherwise there is no problem. During the day it is business as usual. It is probably a suburb with one of the highest crime rates in Sydney but it’s nowhere near comparable suburbs in America. You still can safely walk around during the day.

Bankstown has excellent train network so it is easily accessible from anywhere in Sydney. I wouldn’t necessary leave there, as I value my night walks and ability to pop into any club or pub I see on the way. Plus you would probably want to walk your kids in parks and have a beach not that far away. If you can tolerate the commute (about 40 min on train) St Peters, Marrikville and Tempe are close by, safe, clean and entertaining. On the other side of Sydney, Homebush and Rhodes are a good call (close to train stations and virtually no crime, water nearby).
Depends on your financial situation eastern suburbs are absolutely the best; they are the gold standard of Sydney. But they are pricey, and locals resist trains furiously, so you’ll need to travel by bus to the city (approx. 30-45 mins) and catch a train to bankstown.

In general Sydney works this way (East and North, good/safe/cafes and everything else. South a mix of good and bad (the further south the better), West not so good, the further west you get the worse it gets.)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all so much for your help. Living in Los Angeles, we are accustomed to long commutes. However, I would like for him to not be traveling to far. My daughter is an avid surfer. How far is the train from Bondi? (the only beach i am familiar with) Or what southern beach town would you recommend. His company is providing a housing allowance, but we are not sure how that compares yet.

·
Registered
346 Posts
There is a train station in bindi junction. Which is 10 minutes on the bus from bindi beach. However Bondi is overpriced since everyone wants to live there. Also it is crowded.
Nearby suburbs with fantastic beaches are Cogee, Bronte, and Maroubra. They can easily compete with Bondi in everything but size. No trains there as locals don't want floods of partygoers and backpackers. However friendly and clean beaches.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.