Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
We plan to move to SF next year around December.
We have two kids, one 7yr old and other 10 yr old.

Now my question is about schooling.
In India the schooling year is from June to April. So if we have to move in December, it would be middle of the year.

- Will the kids be able to get admission in the middle of the year?
- Will they be admitted in the same class or they would have to loose a year?

Any advise is appreciated.

Thanks

·
Banned
6,189 Posts
- Will the kids be able to get admission in the middle of the year?
Certainly. That's a good time to move since they'd likely start after the Christmas and New Year holiday vacation.

- Will they be admitted in the same class or they would have to loose a year?
They'll be placed in the classes that make the most sense for them individually depending on the school's assessment procedures, their abilities, and (especially in borderline cases) your input. "Losing" a year doesn't really make much sense in this context since the curricula are quite different. Be sure to give the school officials a fair hearing, and also check with any similarly situated friends about what their children experienced in making similar transitions.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks @BBCWatcher,
Good to hear that the mid term admissions wont be a problem.

About the second part, the school conduct their own assessment of the children?

I would like to learn more about admission process etc but I guess it will vary from school to school, right? Or is there a standard procedure that I have to apply X months before the kids plan to commence school? etc

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the link @twostep

I am not sure yet whether it will be Public or Private, so all information is welcome :)

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
Thanks for the link @twostep

I am not sure yet whether it will be Public or Private, so all information is welcome :)
Private can get very expensive. Google for international schools which may be what you are targeting. Also international or expat parent groups - probably FB.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi,
I have been reading a bit more after starting the discussion here and have few more questions :)

I realised that the schools are divided between K-5, K-8, K9-12 etc.
Does this mean every time the kids have to change schools?

Are there no schools that are K-12?

So far, I am narrowing down to Mountain View or Sunnyvale area.
I heard Cupertino probably has better schools but rents might be too high there (not sure yet).

·
Banned
6,189 Posts
It depends on the size of the community. In non-rural U.S. communities there are generally elementary schools, middle schools, and high schools which divide K-12 school age children into three groups (e.g. K-4, 5-8, 9-12). Sometimes there will even be junior elementary schools and junior high schools in the sequence.

Private and parochial schools generally have less grade separation even if they're located in more heavily populated areas. A separation between K-8 and 9-12 is still quite common, though.

Even if children change schools they generally do not change their cohort of students. In many communities students who start kindergarten together will continue through high school together, even if they all together change school buildings as they age. Of course that assumes their families don't move, and some families of course move in and out, but in many communities the bulk of the student body moves through the schools together.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks BBCWatcher for your reply.

i was mainly asking this because I have two kids and when one moves from 5 to 6, they will need to go separate schools and might make it difficult to manage the schedules.

But I guess I will have to deal with it :)

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
Thanks BBCWatcher for your reply.

i was mainly asking this because I have two kids and when one moves from 5 to 6, they will need to go separate schools and might make it difficult to manage the schedules.

But I guess I will have to deal with it :)
It is called school bus or cab mom.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Twostep,
I hadn't come across information about school bus system yet, so I was wondering how they operate. But good that you brought it up. I will look out for more on this.

Secondly, you went wrong on the guess :) ....... it's not mom but a dad

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
Hi Twostep,
I hadn't come across information about school bus system yet, so I was wondering how they operate. But good that you brought it up. I will look out for more on this.

Secondly, you went wrong on the guess :) ....... it's not mom but a dad
Again - contact the local school system. Have you connected with parent networks in the area?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi,
No havent found any sites for the parent network for Sunnyvale ot Mountain view.
Do you suggest any particular site?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts