Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas, I'm planning to move to Dubai pretty soon, just need help from you guys as to what will be the best months to be there to find a job. I'm a Canadian with 8 years of managerial experience. I am coming there on leave of absence, so if nothing works out I can still come back and settle down. What do you guys think!!

·
Registered
725 Posts
If you are able to procure your visa - for Canadians, it is quite expensive now - then, go for it.

-md000/Mike

·
Registered
8,891 Posts
Managerial experience at McDonalds or as an office manager in construction or manager in a bank ?? Before coming, do research and find out what companies you would like to work for. Get on linked in and try to find people who work there, and in the division you will be trying to apply in, and make connections. Sending your resume to [email protected] is probly the least effective way of getting a job in the uae.

Just asking, as in this case, being some other nationality might be better then being canadian and seems most 'canadians' here are actually indians/pakistanis/asians/etc... Are you canadian or do you have two passports by chance? The visa costs and rules are a bit harsh for canadians still with the warring between the two over the flights mess.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey jynxgirl, thanks for the eye opener, are Canadians, be it white or brown, disliked so much in Dubai? I have been a manager at a federal meat plant, a branch manager and now a remarketing account manager handling a fleet of over 4000 cars. My roots are from India but I don't have 2 passports and I am on LinkedIn as well and have been talking to a bunch of headhunters. All of them have asked me to come to Dubai as they say that chances of getting a job from outside Dubai is very minimal. So what months do you think are better to be there as I have heard that not a lot of hiring takes place during Ramadan and the christmas break. Also, I do have some companies and specific jobs in my mind but the best way I found to apply to those is online through their website, which as per your thread is not very effective.

Anyways, thanks again and please recommend the best months to be there do I can apply for the leave of absence

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jynxgirl said:
Managerial experience at McDonalds or as an office manager in construction or manager in a bank ?? Before coming, do research and find out what companies you would like to work for. Get on linked in and try to find people who work there, and in the division you will be trying to apply in, and make connections. Sending your resume to [email protected] is probly the least effective way of getting a job in the uae.

Just asking, as in this case, being some other nationality might be better then being canadian and seems most 'canadians' here are actually indians/pakistanis/asians/etc... Are you canadian or do you have two passports by chance? The visa costs and rules are a bit harsh for canadians still with the warring between the two over the flights mess.
Hey jynxgirl, thanks for the eye opener, are Canadians, be it white or brown, disliked so much in Dubai? I have been a manager at a federal meat plant, a branch manager and now a remarketing account manager handling a fleet of over 4000 cars. My roots are from India but I don't have 2 passports and I am on LinkedIn as well and have been talking to a bunch of headhunters. All of them have asked me to come to Dubai as they say that chances of getting a job from outside Dubai is very minimal. So what months do you think are better to be there as I have heard that not a lot of hiring takes place during Ramadan and the christmas break. Also, I do have some companies and specific jobs in my mind but the best way I found to apply to those is online through their website, which as per your thread is not very effective.

Anyways, thanks again and please recommend the best months to be there do I can apply for the leave of absence

·
Registered
8,891 Posts
No, canadians are well liked. The war is between the governments because canada wouldnt allow the air traffic to increase for the native emirati airlines. They kicked out the canadians military and are still warring like two year olds. People themselves dont care a bit :)

Is on the site, they have job specfic postings, then apply. Is just shooting off emails to a generic addy, doesnt work so well. If you can find who the hr person is, get a contact with them and let them know you are looking and what you have to offer, kind of like a cover letter in other parts of the world, then the manager can keep an eye out for your resume in the pile.

As it heats up, people tend to move around less. July is very very hot so starts to slow down, and once ramadan/august comes, everything will come to a halt practically. So come in June if you think you have enough contacts lined up, or wait until September would be my suggestion.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jynxgirl said:
No, canadians are well liked. The war is between the governments because canada wouldnt allow the air traffic to increase for the native emirati airlines. They kicked out the canadians military and are still warring like two year olds. People themselves dont care a bit :)

Is on the site, they have job specfic postings, then apply. Is just shooting off emails to a generic addy, doesnt work so well. If you can find who the hr person is, get a contact with them and let them know you are looking and what you have to offer, kind of like a cover letter in other parts of the world, then the manager can keep an eye out for your resume in the pile.

As it heats up, people tend to move around less. July is very very hot so starts to slow down, and once ramadan/august comes, everything will come to a halt practically. So come in June if you think you have enough contacts lined up, or wait until September would be my suggestion.
Hey thanks again, I think I will come there late October, you think 3 months is enough to give this opportunity a fair chance? I guess if I can't find a job in 3 months I might as well just pack up and leave for good..lolz

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.