Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I am being relocated to New York with my job. All of my furnishings and electricals have been shipped. Then today I was told by someone that none of them will work over there. Is this true? Is there something I can buy to help convert them? All ideas welcome, I'm worried I just wasted a few thousand dollars! Thanks Yvetteeeee

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Hi all. I am being relocated to New York with my job. All of my furnishings and electricals have been shipped. Then today I was told by someone that none of them will work over there. Is this true? Is there something I can buy to help convert them? All ideas welcome, I'm worried I just wasted a few thousand dollars! Thanks Yvetteeeee
its 110v in the US
what are your appliances

http://www.kropla.com/electric2.htm

oh dear ....

·
Registered
86 Posts
Many AC adapters are dual volt these days (things like Laptop AC Adapters will take both 110 and 240)

For the equipment that doesn't, you can get a step up transformer.

Of course it pays to carefully check the label on the adapter before plugging it in.

I traveled to the US and used my laptop with just a standard old NZ-US plug adapter and it worked fine, as did my iPhone charger and camera charger

·
Registered
40 Posts
We brought all of our US electronics to Oz with us and they all work with a little help. I imagine yours will so if they are new enough.

Computers work with an Aussie cable and plug.

Sony Bravia works with just an adapter and a Foxtel digital set top box.

Wii works with Oz plug, ordered by phone, but only with our us games.

Surround sound/DVD player (Sony) works with step up/step down transformer.

PS2 only needs an adapter.

Just check the back of each one to make sure it has dual voltage or contact the manufacturer.

Best of luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts