Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bonjour everyone!
I will be moving from B.C. In canada to France and I was wondering if anyone has had a great experience with any particular moving companies? In fact if any one has any to stay away from would also be helpful.
It is a bit intimidating to just look online for a company. Any info would be very appreciated.

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Welcome! I moved from northern Ontario to France a couple of years ago. My advice would be to check out your local moving companies with a reputation (or advertising) for overseas or corporate moves. Then visit the company and talk to them. I had no problems because the company I used had all the forms and information. It may be a bit more leg work than just checking online but you will get better information and solid quotes for the work. Good luck! MS

·
Administrator
51,938 Posts
I'll second the advice to go through someone local. Ultimately, you'll be dealing with the local folks for your end of the move, and you'll be relying on their "local" contacts at your point of arrival. Dealing with a local firm means that you're more likely to have friends and neighbors who may someday need moving services, so they'll have their reputation at stake to a greater degree than someone you find on the Internet.

Get a couple of estimates and ask all your questions, no matter how "silly." How they deal with your questions will tell you quite a bit about how they will handle your things.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both so much. I have been thinking of that as well. I was just hoping to find out if anyone had success with any particular companies. Not easy. But I will be visiting the local ones for sure.

Just can't wait to arrive!!!!

Thanks all!

·
Registered
Lived in US, France, Canada, & UK
1,338 Posts
Thank you both so much. I have been thinking of that as well. I was just hoping to find out if anyone had success with any particular companies. Not easy. But I will be visiting the local ones for sure.

Just can't wait to arrive!!!!

Thanks all!
Our local movers (New England area) are affiliated with Stevens International. Stevens is affiliated with Grospiron, Inc., in France. We just received our goods from Grospiron today. They listened when we said that we live in a tiny village with a steep hill and very narrow streets. They connected with a local mover in the Dordogne who provided a small truck to unload our things from the semi that brought it and delivered it up the hill. The 3 guys were great and one spoke a bit of English, which was welcome.

The important thing is that whoever receives your goods in France and then shepherds them through customs had better know what they're doing. Grospiron handled customs for us and they were brilliant. They told us exactly what documents to provide and when we couldn't get some, they suggested other documents. In the end, our goods were selected for a full customs inspection. We weren't charged a dime in tax. It was great.

Best of luck.

Ray

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.