Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
probably this has been answered in previous threads, sorry if my question is a duplicate, I have checked and all answers, seem to be based on UK registered cars,
can anyone advise on the registration process for cars outwith EU,
we are UK citizens and have UK driving licence, the car was purchased for our use whilst we were in Florida at our holiday home , we have just had a good quote for shipping, just concerned now on any registration issues here

·
Registered
650 Posts
probably this has been answered in previous threads, sorry if my question is a duplicate, I have checked and all answers, seem to be based on UK registered cars,
can anyone advise on the registration process for cars outwith EU,
we are UK citizens and have UK driving licence, the car was purchased for our use whilst we were in Florida at our holiday home , we have just had a good quote for shipping, just concerned now on any registration issues here
Left or right hand drive? That is the question.

·
Super Moderator
12,525 Posts
left hand drive
I think you will find that bringing a left hand drive into Cyprus would be more trouble than its worth.
The government are not at all keen on left hand drives unless they are classic cars.
You might even be refused entry for it. I have heard of one person who shipped a left hand drive and when it was unloaded at the docks it was refused and had to be shipped back to it country of origin.
One of our clients who is Eastern European went to the UK to buy a right hand drive car to bring over with him because he was told he would not be allowed to import his left hooker, also another guy we know from Greece went and bought a car in the Uk to bring over with him for the same reason.

Veronica

·
Registered
2 Posts
Cyprus traffic light sequencing and rules will be familiar to most people. However, many local drivers of cars in Cyprus will drive over the white line and well into the junction before stopping. They may not stop at all. Failing to comply with the red light is a common occurrence. Do not assume that if your light is green it is safe to go. Always treat traffic light controlled junctions with extreme caution.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I'm sure you got a great price compared to what prices are for cars here but the additional expense to switch the steering wheel over and the hassle won't be worth it. We had friends who did get a car in from the US, but it had to be back out again within a set time frame - I think it was 2 years - or changed. That was over 10 years ago though.

·
Registered
650 Posts
There is a Jeep you can get in the US that is right hand drive as it is used by the post office. It's a Jeep -I believe Sahara, it's like a Wrangler but much bigger. When we had looked at it it was about $20,000, then you must own it for at least 6 months before you move.

·
Super Moderator
12,525 Posts
There is a Jeep you can get in the US that is right hand drive as it is used by the post office. It's a Jeep -I believe Sahara, it's like a Wrangler but much bigger. When we had looked at it it was about $20,000, then you must own it for at least 6 months before you move.
If it is a big jeep it will probably have a big engine and that would then make it expensive to register and tax etc.
Everything goes by engine size so its always wise to consider that.

Veronica

·
Super Moderator
12,525 Posts
It's huge Veronica.
In that case it would be totally impractical to get one of those because the cost of regsitering it etc would be ridiculous.
The best vehicles to bring are those with engines not over 1.6 as the tax and registration fees jump a lot above 1.6 and with low emissions as even the emissions are taken into account when registering a vehicle.

Veronica

·
Registered
428 Posts
Does that owner's manual come with the instructions to make postal stops too? :D

Veronica, I think he was joking as those jeeps with the right hand drive aren't that big. In fact I believe they have an open floor so everyone can use their feet to push it along like they do in the Flintstones.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Does that owner's manual come with the instructions to make postal stops too? :D

Veronica, I think he was joking as those jeeps with the right hand drive aren't that big. In fact I believe they have an open floor so everyone can use their feet to push it along like they do in the Flintstones.
Yeah, if you are using UAE roads it wouldn't feel that big. Try to navigate that vehicle through a Cypriot village or even the parking lots. It would be like trying to drive it through the old souk; if that is still there as it used to back when I was growing up there.

·
Registered
650 Posts

BTW do look it up.:D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks to all, we will probably just sell in Florida and purchase something else here, sounds like too much hassle for me, I have enough stress in our life without adding,

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.