Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay, should I be posting this in the UK forum perhaps, likely...!

Hello fellow expats in France. I've been away from the forum of late as I've been very busy with interviews and all things related to finding a new job. Earlier this week I was offered a permanent (talk about rare!) job in the UK. Delighted, and stressed about the move as you can imagine.

So, I need to start in early January and besides finding a house to rent that will accept four cats..... this is already a nightmare, I need to transport belongings (no furniture) and said fur balls to the UK. Passport requirements, vaccinations etc will be taken care of, but the transport is the difficult part. I don't know the best way to do it. I think flying would be a much quicker option and perhaps less stressful in the long run, but I've never travelled with an animal before so I don't know. Travelling by road is obviously a longer route and from what I've seen very costly. I've got a quote of £1050 door to door and it will take roughly two days.
I've never driven in France, or anywhere on the 'wrong' side of the road, so hiring a car myself and driving in France wouldn't be an option.

If anyone out there has any experience they could share please I'd be very grateful, either on the transport issue or indeed finding somewhere to live in the UK with the fur balls. Cheers :):):):)

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
Hello

Sorry to hear that you are leaving France, but for good reasons!

Can't help with the cats, but based on experience taking a dog to the UK in the mid 2000s, you need to make sure all the paperwork is EXACTLY correct. The border control people have no intelligence - either it's ok or it's not.

As for travel, a lot depends on how far you have to travel from your current place in France to your new in the UK. It could be close (Calais to Dover) or very long, (Marseille to Aberdeen).

Will you be doing the trip in a car, or hiring a van? FWIW we have found Campanile hotels very obliging re pets - they make a small charge but they are understanding. Offer to pay for 1 cat and only have one visible at any time? With effort of packing / unpacking and the emotional stress if you go by car with all the family then I'd not drive for more than 6 - 8 hours. You need to keep your strength to herd the beasts and find your new home etc.

For me, going by car has the advantage of keeping you and the cats together with some control over what you do when.

DejW

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks DejW
Yep, for all my moaning about CVs and mosquitos, I'll actually be sad to leave France, but happy to have a stable position to go to.

I won't be driving myself and I'm solo so to speak (unless you count the cats, that can't drive :)) so I will either be going by air or train myself, unless I can get a company that can transport me, my belongings and my cats together. There is one actually but I'm bracing myself for a very hefty quote.

It's a tough ask, moving lock stock and fur balls solo in a matter of weeks.

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
Where in the UK are you moving to?

From experience, having the animals travelling with me in a car and using Eurotunnel was the most stress-free way of doing things - for both me and the animals - at that time, 4 cats and 2 dogs - and a child!

But it sounds like that's not an option for you unless you could persuade either someone in France that they could do with a nice break in the UK, or that someone in the UK would like to stock up on shopping in France.

If you have to travel by train, you're going to struggle with the cat carriers (I wish someone would make quad-(or more)decker wheely cat carriers ....or a personal trailer, like you hitch to a bicycle!), although you could probably manage if you just carry the necessaries in a backpack and bumbag, and carry two double-capacity cat carriers, sending everything else by haulier or post. You DO have carriers, I assume? But that does also depend on the rail network getting you, without too much hassle, from A to B.

Congrats., btw, on getting a *permanent* job; well done. I hope all works out well for you.

hils

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.