Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a British Citizen living in USA as a Permanent Resident. I married an America and came here thinking we would return to UK after 18 months/2 years. 15 years later I am still here and now divorced. Can I just come back?
I have a good business here but I miss my family and my son has just had a baby,making me a grandma. I have savings and somewhere to live. I have returned every summer on vacation. Do I need to do anything before I come? The UKBorder website is very ambiguous.
Thank you for any help you can give me.

·
Super Moderator
5,194 Posts
I am a British Citizen living in USA as a Permanent Resident. I married an America and came here thinking we would return to UK after 18 months/2 years. 15 years later I am still here and now divorced. Can I just come back?
I have a good business here but I miss my family and my son has just had a baby,making me a grandma. I have savings and somewhere to live. I have returned every summer on vacation. Do I need to do anything before I come? The UKBorder website is very ambiguous.
You were born and grew up in the UK and still have your UK passport (i.e. you didn't renounce it to take up American citizenship), yes?

If so, I should think that you can just show up and resume life in the UK... after all, you were born there and are a Brit by birth.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Check this:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/s.../idischapter1/section3/annexm.pdf?view=Binary

The UKBA site is a maze, I found this (from 2004 but apparently it is still in effect) by using the search feature, and the search term 'returning citizen'.

·
Super Moderator
5,194 Posts
Have a look at this UKBA section on Right of Abode.

I should think that ROA2 and ROA7 apply to you, and as such, according to ROA1, you don't need to have biometrics or any other immigration type paperw*rk done... in fact, UKBA policy forbids it. :whoo:

Welcome home, and enjoy being a Gran! :clap2:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.