Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

We've been in Brisbane for 8 months now, and dont hate it, but not 100% to live here for the next 10 years and to buy a house here.

The trouble is my old company in London has offered me a job and for a bit more money as well. I could start at the end of January.
The main issue is that even if we stay here say another 3-4 years there is no guarentee in the future I can get a job before we move back to the UK and thats what I need. As I have credit cards to pay etc, I can't afford even a month off, I just need a continuation.
I'm in I.T and in coming here I was able to get the job in Brisbane before coming to Australia via two telephone interviews and a video confencing interview, but it doesn't appear to work the other way. Most job agencies in the UK say "When will you be back in the UK?". My answer is I'm not coming back until a job is secured before moving back.

A lot of UK companies want face to face interviews, so it would mean I would have to fly back on my own just to have an interview and leave my wife and two kids and even then no guarentee of getting the job. Also I've applied for lots more jobs and no one seems to be barking.

So thats my fear for the future is when we would want to come home, we can't as I cant secure a job before leaving Australia.

Thats why I'm considering my old company which has offered me a job.

On top of all of this is that my wife if we fly back will be 24 months pregnant.

Airlines says its fine as long as its not in the 1st Trimester, or after 32 weeks, drink plenty of fluids, and walk around a lot in the plane. But you can't sit near the exit door for safety reasons and you can only try and book the bulkhead seats for exit leg room, but priority is given to women with small babies as they need to use the baskinnets. Airlines dont seem to care if your pregnant. Business Class and 1st Class are out of the question being so expensive, there is preimum Economy class which has a better seat on the A380 but not much leg room.

So do you have the risk of you can't come back, or the get on the plane with my wife pregnant. Also the old company was very highly paid and with 2 kids, its all about the money at the end of the day.

Alistair.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hi there,

We've been in Brisbane for 8 months now, and dont hate it, but not 100% to live here for the next 10 years and to buy a house here.

The trouble is my old company in London has offered me a job and for a bit more money as well. I could start at the end of January.
The main issue is that even if we stay here say another 3-4 years there is no guarentee in the future I can get a job before we move back to the UK and thats what I need. As I have credit cards to pay etc, I can't afford even a month off, I just need a continuation.
I'm in I.T and in coming here I was able to get the job in Brisbane before coming to Australia via two telephone interviews and a video confencing interview, but it doesn't appear to work the other way. Most job agencies in the UK say "When will you be back in the UK?". My answer is I'm not coming back until a job is secured before moving back.

A lot of UK companies want face to face interviews, so it would mean I would have to fly back on my own just to have an interview and leave my wife and two kids and even then no guarentee of getting the job. Also I've applied for lots more jobs and no one seems to be barking.

So thats my fear for the future is when we would want to come home, we can't as I cant secure a job before leaving Australia.

Thats why I'm considering my old company which has offered me a job.

On top of all of this is that my wife if we fly back will be 24 months pregnant.

Airlines says its fine as long as its not in the 1st Trimester, or after 32 weeks, drink plenty of fluids, and walk around a lot in the plane. But you can't sit near the exit door for safety reasons and you can only try and book the bulkhead seats for exit leg room, but priority is given to women with small babies as they need to use the baskinnets. Airlines dont seem to care if your pregnant. Business Class and 1st Class are out of the question being so expensive, there is preimum Economy class which has a better seat on the A380 but not much leg room.

So do you have the risk of you can't come back, or the get on the plane with my wife pregnant. Also the old company was very highly paid and with 2 kids, its all about the money at the end of the day.

Alistair.
Well Hun
I think you have answered your own question?? If for you it really is all about the money, then what you waiting for?? I personally feel 8 months is not long enough to make a life changing decision, I have been here for 18months and could get my old job back but the work conditions are wopse, longer hours, crap managers etc. Ask your old company if you can have a career break for another 12-18months, if they value you enough they will grant it, then you will have been here 2 years and given it a good try, otherwise you will go back and all the reasons that made you leave will still be there!! You may become a YOYO LOL Good Luck
Jabba xx:plane:

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
What is she, an elephant? :lol:

Right, back to being serious. I agree with Jabba. It looks like you've made your mind up already.

But if it is only for the money, have you thought of coming to work in Melbourne where the salaries will be higher than Brisbane? Just a thought.

Dolly

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Long working hours?

In Brisbane the hours are just the same. Also I don't get paid for overtime or being on call and working Saturdays which I did in the UK and no bonuses.
Yer, weather is great, although can be annoying being 35c and too hot. But living in pardise is point less unless you have the money, food costs higher than the UK for starters let alone the childcare.

Melbourne? Yes I have looked at the Salaries and they were 20K less for the role im in in Brisbane. Why would I want to waste a fortune on moving to Melbourne.

We just can't see ourselves staying here for a long time, and do like it so much to put down roots for buying a house, which I need to do so to get back on the property ladder. The rentals in Clayfield and Ascot in Brisbane are the same as in London crazy.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
I have to say I'm totally surprised re what you're saying about salaries! What branch of IT are you in?

Dolly

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Hi Alistair,

It really sounds to me as though you've made up your mind too. You've said that it's all about the money so go back to the UK.

I would make sure that you have some sort of guarantee with your old company that they will keep you on for at least 2 years so that you don't move back and then get made redundant. Friends who have had secure jobs for 13 years with one company have recently been made redundant which is why I mention this (they are not in IT but IT will be affected like everything else).

Your wife will still be okay to travel as long as you both make up your mind quickly.

One other suggestion.... Could you stay here in Australia and work remotely for the company in the UK? I recently picked up an IT contract with a company I used to work with back in the UK. They came looking for me since I wasn't looking for IT work but they made me an offer that was too good to refuse.

I don't know what sort of IT work you do so that may not be possible but just a thought. The pound to dollar conversion isn't as good as it used to be but I found it good being paid in pounds and living here in Oz.

If you decide to go back I hope London will be everything you are hoping for.

Regards,
Karen

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your replies.

Its, I can guarentee to my wife if she wants to move back in 2-3 years of getting a job before we move back which I need to do.

Perhaps I can secure a job before moving back, would it be the same salary, as it can't be less.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts