Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in the US 9 years. Have a great job , but not happy, I can't feel that I am home and belong here. I miss NZ all the time I am here. Just recently found out that my company would let me to continue to work for them even fron NZ. I am 2 and half years married to a non US, non NZ citizen. I would like to move back with her. When I looked at the NZI website, I found that as a citizen I can support her to get visa as a partner. I would like to know how to start the process. As we are not living together for 5 or more years, she can't get a PR visa straight. For Spouse visa requirements I've read I need to prove that I have my residence in NZ. I still live in the US, and I don't have a place yet it NZ. One of the required proofs was to have a document about sending my household items to NZ. Is this a problem? We are planing to go to visit NZ next year and I was thinking to rent a house where I can after our return send our household items and use this as my proof of residing in NZ.
I am still just on the beginning of the process and would be very grateful if there is someone with similar experience to share it with us.
Thanks in advance for some guidance

·
Super Moderator
4,929 Posts
You're making the process way more complicated than what it is.

As the partner of an NZ Citizen, your wife can apply for a "Partner Of A New Zealand Resident Visa" so long as she can provide evidence of you living together under the same roof for at least 12 months. A marriage certificate is not proof of this. If you could provide evidence of living together for 5 years or more (don't have to be married for 5 years or more or at all) then she could be granted PR.
As an NZ citizen you don't have to prove anything other than your NZ Citizenship status and your good character.....so an NZ Passport and police reports are enough. You don't have to live here now, be resident here or have property here because you are an NZ Citizen.
You must support her application by completing your own support application and on that application you will make some declarations of your own stating that you intend to move back to NZ and reside here yada yada.

Reactions: Slovakiwi

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks escapedtonz, yes I admit I over-complicated the whole situation :)
First we are going to visit NZ only for one month, I would like my wife to experience NZ before we move there. For this visit do I need also the police certificates to support her Partneship based temporary visitor visa?
Cheers,

Frank

·
Super Moderator
4,929 Posts
Thanks escapedtonz, yes I admit I over-complicated the whole situation :)
First we are going to visit NZ only for one month, I would like my wife to experience NZ before we move there. For this visit do I need also the police certificates to support her Partneship based temporary visitor visa?
Cheers,

Frank
Any visa she selects under the basis of "Partnership" will require you to prove your partnership, your citizenship, your status, your character, your eligibility to support her application. In this particular case and if she was to be granted this visa she would be able to stay (with you) for up to 24 months in NZ.

Now, if you are only visiting for 1 month, why complicate matters by going the partnership based temporary visitor visa route ?
.....why not just apply for her own visitor visa which will allow her to visit friends and family here, or enjoy NZ yada yada for up to 9 months. If she is a citizen of a visa waiver country she could even come here without having to actually apply for a visitor visa beforehand.....i.e. I'm guessing from your forum name, but if she is from Slovak Republic or Slovenia then those are visa waiver countries so as long as she meets the criteria of a simple visitor visa then she'll be allowed to travel here with or without you....she'll need to have sufficient funds, she'll need to have a ticket out of the country before her visitor allowance expires which would be 3 months on a visa waiver.
I'd expect this path to be a whole lot easier and cost free.
Her actual visa would be held electronically once she passes through customs and she has handed over the passenger card declaration she would get on the flight in to NZ.

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-zealand-visas/apply-for-a-visa/about-visa/visitor-visa
Click the link for visa waiver countries.
Click the link for all visa conditions to ensure she can meet them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again for the quick response.
You are right about my Slovakian origin, I made a slight hint in my forum name ;-) ,but the problem with my wife is that she isn't from a visa waiver country. I will take your advice and look at her visitor visa application and make a decision which one would be easier. For her visitor visa she will need a sponsor too and I am not sure I can be it in this case too. Maybe I am wrong, please correct me, if I do. I will have to find someone in NZ to do it for her.
Frank

·
Super Moderator
4,929 Posts
Thanks again for the quick response.
You are right about my Slovakian origin, I made a slight hint in my forum name ;-) ,but the problem with my wife is that she isn't from a visa waiver country. I will take your advice and look at her visitor visa application and make a decision which one would be easier. For her visitor visa she will need a sponsor too and I am not sure I can be it in this case too. Maybe I am wrong, please correct me, if I do. I will have to find someone in NZ to do it for her.
Frank
On a normal visitor visa you either need to prove sufficient funds for the intended duration of the stay OR have a sponsor. These funds are needed so you can maintain a roof over your head and eat/drink/survive. You'd also need a ticket out of the country or at least enough funds so you could buy a ticket out of the country.

You can be a sponsor as you are an individual New Zealand citizen.
For Immigration to consider you an acceptable sponsor, you must meet all of the following criteria:

live in New Zealand for the term of the sponsorship (unless an exception applies).
not be sponsoring for a financial reward or fee.
never have been convicted of an offence under immigration law.
not have an outstanding debt to the Crown or other third parties as a result of another sponsorship arrangement.
not have previously breached sponsorship obligations.
not have entered into insolvency procedures or be bankrupt.
not be liable for deportation.
not be serving a custodial sentence, eg prison or be waiting to be sentenced after being convicted of a crime that carries a custodial sentence.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts