Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I'm from Canada, and I've never lived truly on my own yet. Just with roommates for work kind of thing. I've never moved abroad where I don't really know anyone either.

I want to move to Manchester, but my concern is..

I can't see the places I'm looking at renting, I only see the online posting.. I feel I should see it in person but the thing is, I have no idea where to stay in the meantime? Do people who move abroad stay in hostels if they don't know anyone while they home search? Do they just rent the place online without looking at it first?

Hostels add up, I'd rather get an affordable place asap so I can focus on looking for work right away. I believe I'd have enough for 3-4 months of rent..

I just am not sure how to go about this.

Any idea?

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Hi there,

I'm from Canada, and I've never lived truly on my own yet. Just with roommates for work kind of thing. I've never moved abroad where I don't really know anyone either.

I want to move to Manchester, but my concern is..

I can't see the places I'm looking at renting, I only see the online posting.. I feel I should see it in person but the thing is, I have no idea where to stay in the meantime? Do people who move abroad stay in hostels if they don't know anyone while they home search? Do they just rent the place online without looking at it first?

Hostels add up, I'd rather get an affordable place asap so I can focus on looking for work right away. I believe I'd have enough for 3-4 months of rent..

I just am not sure how to go about this.

Any idea?
I was overly optimistic when I first moved to London and booked myself a week at a hostel to search and find a flat. I was darned lucky that I found one within that time frame, though it was close. If I were doing it all over again I'd give myself 2+ weeks in some sort of hostel or hotel and do my searching from there.

I was able to set up a few appointments while abroad so I had things the first few dags days after I landed but most places I found were through spending my days looking through Gumtree and ringing people the moment something popped up.

Good luck, you're right, it can add up, staying in hostels but its unlikely anyone will promise you accommodation without meeting you. It sounds too sketchy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.