Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a year old washer dryer, which I wish to move to Melbourne in next few months, along with a lot of other stuff. I am shipping via 20 cu feet cargo container, so weight or shipping cost is a non-issue to me.

My washer dryer is Samsung rated for 220-240V 60Hz 2000-2400 Watts. I understand that Australia has 220V 50Hz.

Can someone provide me feedback, who moved such electrical appliances to Australia, and whether they can be used straight away, or perhaps using an electrical transformer ?

Kindly advise.
Thanks.

Reactions: debeash

·
Super Moderator
5,694 Posts
I would not bring an appliance with a different frequency to a new country.

Voltage is similar, so no problem there.

The issue is the frequency, which is definitely not the same.

The machine will still work, however its likely the motor will run slightly slower - this can cause issues sometimes, and reduce the working life. The different frequency also means that any appliances that have clocks or time-setting will not operate accurately anymore. It is also likely that the programmed washing times will no longer be the same.

It is likely that the washing machine will run about 20% slower and because of this it may overheat. You can probably (at least) expect a shorter life for the appliance.

Although the washing machine does not need a transformer, as voltages in both countries are similar, it's important to realise that using a transformer will not change the frequency anyway. Frequency converters do exist, but are very expensive at perhaps $1000 each. :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
You washer/ dryer most probably should be rated for 50 Hz as well. In any case there is no need for a voltage transformer. But yes, you'd definitely require a socket coupler as plug architecture is different between AUS and your country of origin

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would not bring an appliance with a different frequency to a new country.

Voltage is similar, so no problem there.

The issue is the frequency, which is definitely not the same.

The machine will still work, however its likely the motor will run slightly slower - this can cause issues sometimes, and reduce the working life. The different frequency also means that any appliances that have clocks or time-setting will not operate accurately anymore. It is also likely that the programmed washing times will no longer be the same.

It is likely that the washing machine will run about 20% slower and because of this it may overheat. You can probably (at least) expect a shorter life for the appliance.

Although the washing machine does not need a transformer, as voltages in both countries are similar, it's important to realise that using a transformer will not change the frequency anyway. Frequency converters do exist, but are very expensive at perhaps $1000 each. :)
Yes, thanks. I have since spoken to a qualified electrician at Samsung (who is the appliance manufacturer) and he has qualified that since my washer dryer has an electronics motherboard, it will most likely not work correctly.

Furthermore to fix it, either the motherboard must be replaced with the correct one, or an external frequency transformer must be acquired.

You washer/ dryer most probably should be rated for 50 Hz as well. In any case there is no need for a voltage transformer. But yes, you'd definitely require a socket coupler as plug architecture is different between AUS and your country of origin
The electrical plug is the least of the worries here, since I have a lot of appliances with UK 3 pin plugs. However, I am happy to either get a converter or strip and convert the cable for these (depending on the item).

My appliance is infact rated for 60Hz at 200-240V. In Saudi, appliances are rated as such. Ofcourse, in India it is 60Hz, so you are good to bring any appliance, should you desire so.

In the end, I have decided to dispose of it here, and get a new one, once I land in Australia. It will also give me warranty from the local workshops, should I require it.

Reactions: kaju
1 - 5 of 5 Posts