Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all very new to this site but love hearing everybody's thoughts and experiences, we are looking to move in summer 2012 and are looking for Internet packages can anybody tell me if the providers offer what you pay for e.g if you pay for a 10 meg line do you get 10 meg or is it like back in the uk where you only get up to 10 meg. Would be great if I could get some feedback from you all thanks in advance Donna

G

·
I am sure that its like everywhere else. You get up to 10. This is because the speed goes down the more distanse you have to the phonestation. This is nothing the provider can influence, its pure physics, connected to the resistence in the copper thread

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I disagree we have a virgin line that we pay for and get 100meg in opposite to the bt/sky line that we were paying for 24meg and getting 8 meg. We just don't want to order the highest package and pay for it if all we get is the basic line

G

·
The 100 mb line is no DSL line, probably cable internet or fiber. This you can get in very few places in Cyprus. If you only can get DSL then you will have the same problem as with your bt/sky. Most Cyprus providers only offer up to 8 mb

·
Super Moderator
12,557 Posts
Hi Donna,
Welcome to the forum.
As Anders says you will be very lucky to get any more than 8meg in Cyprus.
However we have found that we do get what we pay for in terms of download speed. Upload speed is very poor though.

G

·
The biggest problem with Internet in Czprus is not really on the island. Its the connection from the Island that is to small. I have heard for a longh time there should be a new fibre connection to the mainland but what I know this has not happened yet

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.