Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I wanted to write about my experience of moving to Australia. There are so many negative posts (justified or otherwise), I figured I'd write a happy story.

As you can see in my signature below, I got my PR in October last year and since then have been looking for jobs in Australia. My professional background is as a mechanical engineer designing medical devices. I have 6-7 years of work experience working in the US and all of this was quite attractive to potential employers here. I managed to interview over Skype and get an offer without ever having been to Australia!

The offer came in early February and it took us a week to decide that we were going to actually uproot ourselves from the nice lives that we had built for ourselves and move! I had asked for 8 weeks of time from my new employer to move and settle in before starting work. We left California in the middle of March and took the scenic route to Sydney.

We are very fortunate that the move for us was a lot easier than what most people on this forum go through. My brother moved to Sydney towards the end of last year and so we didn't have to worry for accommodation right away. We had a place to go from the airport which was very nice.

The apartment hunting was quite chaotic since we were not used to the 15 minute inspection window that is common here. But we managed to find a place in 2 weeks and moved into our own apartment 3 weeks after coming to Sydney.

Work started and we slowly settled in. The wife started looking for jobs and it took her about 6 weeks to get an offer and she started working last week.

From what I understand, there are a lot of computer people on this forum. My wife is also a computer person. She does database stuff (unfortunately, I’m not smart enough to understand more than that) and her strategy for job hunting was to find things on Seek, customize her resume for that position, apply online and then call the phone number in the job posting 10-15 minutes after applying. It seemed to work pretty well since most companies got back to her quite quickly and scheduled interviews. They asked for references and called/emailed them as well.

Almost 3 months have passed since we moved to Sydney and we feel more and more at home. We spend our weekends exploring the different national parks around Sydney. We enjoy the quiet and peace on the hiking trails which is different from the overrun trails in California. The city is very accessible and people here are very nice and friendly. Our stuff came from California arrived yesterday so we will spend the next couple of weeks unpacking.

I feel like we are very fortunate that our move has been so smooth. It definitely helped that I had a job offer before making the move. I probably wouldn’t have moved without an offer and that’s because we had a good thing going back in the US.
I can’t make any predictions about the job market or average time to get a job. My experience may not have been typical of most people looking to move to Australia.

Feel free to ask any questions and I’ll do my best to answer

·
Registered
70 Posts
Wow..that was a very smooth ride for you guys.. Congrats.. Just wanted to know one thing..by 'references' do you mean your employers' references back in USA or someone from Australia?

Hi all,
I wanted to write about my experience of moving to Australia. There are so many negative posts (justified or otherwise), I figured I'd write a happy story.

As you can see in my signature below, I got my PR in October last year and since then have been looking for jobs in Australia. My professional background is as a mechanical engineer designing medical devices. I have 6-7 years of work experience working in the US and all of this was quite attractive to potential employers here. I managed to interview over Skype and get an offer without ever having been to Australia!

The offer came in early February and it took us a week to decide that we were going to actually uproot ourselves from the nice lives that we had built for ourselves and move! I had asked for 8 weeks of time from my new employer to move and settle in before starting work. We left California in the middle of March and took the scenic route to Sydney.

We are very fortunate that the move for us was a lot easier than what most people on this forum go through. My brother moved to Sydney towards the end of last year and so we didn't have to worry for accommodation right away. We had a place to go from the airport which was very nice.

The apartment hunting was quite chaotic since we were not used to the 15 minute inspection window that is common here. But we managed to find a place in 2 weeks and moved into our own apartment 3 weeks after coming to Sydney.

Work started and we slowly settled in. The wife started looking for jobs and it took her about 6 weeks to get an offer and she started working last week.

From what I understand, there are a lot of computer people on this forum. My wife is also a computer person. She does database stuff (unfortunately, I’m not smart enough to understand more than that) and her strategy for job hunting was to find things on Seek, customize her resume for that position, apply online and then call the phone number in the job posting 10-15 minutes after applying. It seemed to work pretty well since most companies got back to her quite quickly and scheduled interviews. They asked for references and called/emailed them as well.

Almost 3 months have passed since we moved to Sydney and we feel more and more at home. We spend our weekends exploring the different national parks around Sydney. We enjoy the quiet and peace on the hiking trails which is different from the overrun trails in California. The city is very accessible and people here are very nice and friendly. Our stuff came from California arrived yesterday so we will spend the next couple of weeks unpacking.

I feel like we are very fortunate that our move has been so smooth. It definitely helped that I had a job offer before making the move. I probably wouldn’t have moved without an offer and that’s because we had a good thing going back in the US.
I can’t make any predictions about the job market or average time to get a job. My experience may not have been typical of most people looking to move to Australia.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow..that was a very smooth ride for you guys.. Congrats.. Just wanted to know one thing..by 'references' do you mean your employers' references back in USA or someone from Australia?
Hi! Sorry for the late reply.

The references were for employers references from back in the US. They managed to just email the form since the time difference makes it difficult to coordinate a phone call during business hours.

Reactions: TanuPatel

·
Registered
70 Posts
Thanks a lot for the reply Priyanshu. So, are these forms different for each job. Can we take a generic form declaration from our employers back in our home, if it is critical and hand out those physical copies? Can you tell what details are captured in the form?

Although, I have a good relation with my employers and can hope for a quick email reply when required, don't want an interview or job opportunity to get stuck because of these things.

Hi! Sorry for the late reply.

The references were for employers references from back in the US. They managed to just email the form since the time difference makes it difficult to coordinate a phone call during business hours.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Tanu.

The employers were keep to get the references back soon but a couple of days is acceptable. Generally reference checks are done after they like a candidate and want to proceed with him/her. So a couple of days to get reference checks isn't too bad.

Each employer had their own form that they sent out. They ideally like to do this on the phone but were willing to do it over email.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi Priyanshu,
My husband is also mechanical design engineer in medical devices working in sydney in contract position, can you please give me your personnel Id so that it will be helpful for him to send his resume.

HOpe for reply.

Thanks &regards,
manjula

·
Registered
151 Posts
Congratulations! I'm always delighted to hear about positive experiences. That's hope for people like us :)

Quick question - When did you start applying/interviewing with companies? Was it after you lodged your visa or after counselor approved all the papers? Could you please let me know?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Congratulations! I'm always delighted to hear about positive experiences. That's hope for people like us :)

Quick question - When did you start applying/interviewing with companies? Was it after you lodged your visa or after counselor approved all the papers? Could you please let me know?
Hi Sophia,
I started scoping out potential employers when I applied for my visa and then started applying after the visa was granted.

When are you looking to move to Australia? Where are you coming from?

P

·
Registered
151 Posts
That was a quick reply back! k..so to summarize, I need to wait till I have a grant. But, I'm still waiting on my PCC from FBI. Assuming, I'll lodge my visa 1st week of September, get medical done - 2nd week of Sept. It will be Oct/Nov before I hear back on a grant (again...assumption).

Mah confusion is...holiday times hit around nov-dec-jan months. Do companies interview during these months? Considering July and Feb are generally hiring months when people get their offers...how should I proceed further?
Do let me know because I'm exactly in your situation. For remaining questions and details, please check your message. I've responded. :)

Hi Sophia,
I started scoping out potential employers when I applied for my visa and then started applying after the visa was granted.

When are you looking to move to Australia? Where are you coming from?

P

·
Registered
665 Posts
Resume submission

hi guys ,

whenever we send resume to recruiters looks like there are only few recruiters who are tied to certain domain . So sometime when we change the resume submit for different jobs it goes to the same person :) , need to bit careful about this .

·
Registered
18 Posts
Congrats! Although I had also found my first job in australia recently, your article is very positive and motivating for people who are planning to move.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Congrats! Although I had also found my first job in australia recently, your article is very positive and motivating for people who are planning to move.
if you don't mind can you share what type of job and how long did it take for you to try from there.

·
Registered
18 Posts
if you don't mind can you share what type of job and how long did it take for you to try from there.
It's a software job, I was trying job search from India only from few months. Had first round on Skype from India and face to face in Melbourne during my short trip for first entry. It's all matter of chance and good luck to get job without much struggle :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
wow good to see that you had things work out beautifully for you.

Would you/ anyone please mind sharing some info on the following:
1. Ease of finding a job in software/technology consulting domain.
2. How expensive is Sydney in terms of cost of living.
3. Whats a decent take home salary per month (after all deductions), to lead a comfortable life for 2.
4. How difficult is to get a decent accommodation, specially during initial days.

TIA,
-Ashu

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hello Advik, Congrats for your job, can you please share how did apply for jobs in australia from india itself ? Anything special that you did like skype number etc to get calls while you were still in india ?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hello Advik, Congrats for your job, can you please share how did apply for jobs in australia from india itself ? Anything special that you did like skype number etc to get calls while you were still in india ?
Thanks. Yes, I bought one Australian Skype number so that recruiter in Australia can call me conveniently. It helped me to get my profile shortlisted. But whenever, I got the calls I always make sure to convey my correct status and plans.

I used seek and LinkedIn to apply for jobs. My advise would be to keep applying for jobs and keep yourself available to take up calls and promptly reply to job emails. One need to be honest and enthusiastic about relocating plans with recruiters.

When are you planning to travel to Australia?

·
Registered
665 Posts
Thanks. Yes, I bought one Australian Skype number so that recruiter in Australia can call me conveniently. It helped me to get my profile shortlisted. But whenever, I got the calls I always make sure to convey my correct status and plans.

I used seek and LinkedIn to apply for jobs. My advise would be to keep applying for jobs and keep yourself available to take up calls and promptly reply to job emails. One need to be honest and enthusiastic about relocating plans with recruiters.

When are you planning to travel to Australia?
oh thanks man thats a great advise can you advise how did you able to skype phone number from india. and is it similar to a HP number that Companies can call directly from the phone

·
Registered
412 Posts
wow good to see that you had things work out beautifully for you.

Would you/ anyone please mind sharing some info on the following:
1. Ease of finding a job in software/technology consulting domain.
2. How expensive is Sydney in terms of cost of living.
3. Whats a decent take home salary per month (after all deductions), to lead a comfortable life for 2.
4. How difficult is to get a decent accommodation, specially during initial days.

TIA,
-Ashu
there are many threads dedicated to above questions. Pls search for the discussions.
Sydney is expensive and can easily cost you AUD 2000 a month (total expenses).

Finding rental accommodation for short term (temporary basis) is not a problem. Getting an apartment on rent is slightly difficult with no rental history/reference and no job.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hi Priyanshu,

Congrats Buddy! I am a Mechanical Design Engineer (7 years of experience in Electro mechanical and Automotive components development).

I have received my PR on Aug 2015. Currently working in India. Planning to make a move to Australia by next year but I am trying to get a job before I reach. till now no positive response.

Can you provide your views and advice on the current market demands on my profile and the best approach to get a job from abroad (details about your experiences may help)

Hi all,

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey Advik,

1) Could you pls let us know a bit of your background (skillset, experience, job profile) and how long it took for you to keep applying for jobs until you got a call.
2) Did you just click with the first call for your applications or you had a few of them going on in parallel until you zeroed on one of them
3) How easy are the employers to accommodate since you were located overseas, or it doesn't matter at all

It would be great if you can answer these questions. Thanks in advance.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts