Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear all

I've just joined this forum as I'm at a loss with what to do next! Thanks for having me and I hope that someone will be able to answer some questions i have about my new life in France.

I have an Indonesian wife with some immigration problems. Lets say that UKBA (UK immigration agency) didnt like her checkered immigration history and refuse to let her join me in the uk.

After receiving advice from a lawyer (go and excercise your treaty rights in another euroean country by working and then apply to have your spouse join you) I have taken up a job in Paris and an apartment in the st Dennis area.

The pay is crap and the job is crap but I'm willing to stick is out to be with my wife.

So the first question is this:

How do I open a bank account? I have applied for a ss number and I have an employment contract where my job starts next week. My brother in law is abroad travelling for a year so he has leased me his flat for six months. Apparently I cannot have a bank account without a utility bill. But the utility bill will take a month to arrive. So what to do until then?

Secondly, what kind of visa do I apply for? The jakarta French embassy said if I'm working for up to three months then, the schengen visa, and if I'm working for longer then the long stay visa. We want to apply for the easiest visa and then manage anything once she is with me in Paris. Any advice here?

Finally, can my wife apply for her schengen visa (if this is the appropriate one) based solely on:

Translated marriage certificate
Employment contract stating my salary and start date
Tenancy agreement

Or do I need bank statements and payslips (which will take me several more months to acquire)?

Thanks in advance for your responses. I do not know anyone in Paris other than my sister and her French husband who are travelling out of the country for some time. They helped me with a job and accomodation but I'm at a loss with where to go from here!

Kind regards

Kader

·
Administrator
50,411 Posts
This is the Service Public page on Europeans wishing to install their close family members in France: Citoyen européen ou suisse : installer sa famille proche en France - Service-public.fr They don't say which visa is required, but it does say that they need to have entered France on a valid visa.

The various consulates seem to interpret this differently, so your best bet is to ask at the consulate serving your wife's current country of residence.

To open a bank account, go to one of the banks near you (near your home or near your work) and ask for an appointment. They will give you a list of what documents you need to have with you, and for any of those which are a "problem" they should be able to advise you regarding substitutes.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info BEv.

I just have a problem with the type of visa, and therefore the types of documents needed! I guess she will just have to keep visiting the consulate until they decide that we have provided them with enough information to accept the application!

Thanks again

Regards

Kader

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.