Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

New member to the forums here but already getting a lot of good information just reading through the threads.

Anyhow, I'm a US citizen married to a Germany citizen living with our young daughter in the US. We're interested in making a move to back to Europe. MY wife currently has a 10yr green card in the US.

We're interested in the UK as the current company I work for has a lot of work in the UK. Internally I'm finding it difficult to get my company to sponsor me even though they have stated I would be a great candidate for numerous open positions. I believe primarily for tax reasons and a somewhat common skillset (construction project management).

I'm keeping on working with my company to help make the move. But with my wife still being an EU citizen, is there any way that could help make a move easier in regards to a visa for me (EEA?)?

I'm just really starting to research options but any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

·
Registered
39,151 Posts
Yes. She can facilitate to bring you to UK by requesting EEA family permit. You both (with your daughter) have to be going to UK, and you apply for EEA family permit in US. You need to complete online form, arrange biometrics and send off your passport, your wife's passport copy certified by German embassy or consulate (or her original national ID card - Personalausweis), marriage certificate (with English translation where relevant) and a letter from her stating she is going to UK and requests EEA family permit to be issued to you so that you can accompany. Once in UK, provided she is exercising treaty rights (by working, for example), you can apply for residence card valid 5 years endorsed with the right to work. Then you can take up any job in UK without extra documentation or visa sponsorship.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you are a citizen of any country in the European Economic Area (EEA), you have the right to live and work in the United Kingdom. This includes all countries in the European Union, plus Iceland, Lichtenstein, and Norway. Citizens of Switzerland also have this right.
All you need is a passport to prove your citizenship. While not required, you may also want to apply for a registration certificate. This may help you prove your rights when applying for various benefits.
Family members of European citizens who are not themselves citizens must still apply for a visa. They can apply for permanent residency after the citizen family member has worked in the UK for five years.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for the information.
Some really good news after all the road blocks we've encountered thus far. Good starting point and thanks for the info.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.