Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm currently looking to moving to San Fransisco, most of my working History is in the building trade which I know will not help me get in the US, iv made few friends in this area and found the girl of dreams here but our relationship is on hold till I can get over and marriage route is out of the question just now. iv been looking at the EB-3 visa, I don't have any degrees but plenty experience in the building trade. is there any web sites anyone may know of so I can search for employment for people like myself who want to emigrate to the US as I'm finding it hard to find such site?

My other option is I have plumbing experience but no qualifications for it, could I apply for US course with a Student visa or somthing similar in so i can do an apprenticeship in plumbing so i can earn as i learn to support myself and then find a employment from there since I'll have a US qualification at the end of it.

I would really appreciate some help and advice as I'm totally lost what to do

Thank you

·
Registered
6,366 Posts
It sounds like Jack-of-all-trades-and-master-of-none. You can apply at community colleges to earn a degree in a building/plumbing related field. You will have to get admitted which is no big deal, show proof of liquid funds for tuition/living for the first year and the souce of funds for the remainder. There is either no work or very limited hours on campus only allowed depending on your visa. It does not mean you will find an employer willing and able to sponsor you after graduation.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
After any course you take you have to return home
a student visa is non immigrant
there are no visa availble for trade jobs

the GF is your only chance ... to get to the US ..
listen for the wedding bells

·
Registered
6,366 Posts
After any course you take you have to return home
a student visa is non immigrant
there are no visa availble for trade jobs

the GF is your only chance ... to get to the US ..
listen for the wedding bells
You cannot shear trade jobs over a comb. Depending on the experience, the niche and the US need - quite a few folks are in the US (some on their employer sponsored Green Cards) especially as academic degree can be substituted by experience. In OP's case - going by the given information - the girlfriend is his only route and then comes the question of sponsorship for his Green Card and how he plans to make a living.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for your replies the student route sounds rather bleak for me and also it's way to soon for the wedding bells as much as I know she is the one but way too soon in the relationship. I dealing I'm wanting a green card but more important for now want to be able to stay and work so can see my new partner. Is there any options which would let me stay say for couple of years and if all turns out well I can apply for
Marriage green card. I'll do anything to get across so I can be with her in a legal way
Could anyone recommend any websites for sponsorship jobs.

Thanks again

·
Registered
6,366 Posts
Thank you for your replies the student route sounds rather bleak for me and also it's way to soon for the wedding bells as much as I know she is the one but way too soon in the relationship. I dealing I'm wanting a green card but more important for now want to be able to stay and work so can see my new partner. Is there any options which would let me stay say for couple of years and if all turns out well I can apply for
Marriage green card. I'll do anything to get across so I can be with her in a legal way
Could anyone recommend any websites for sponsorship jobs.

Thanks again
There is no "let's check this out" visa and there is no visa for a jack-of-all-trades. Just go through travel.state.gov or uscis.gov - the official sites. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Either you do what most international couples do or it will just run its course.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts