Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,my husband and I are planning to move to Montpellier and are in the process of looking for work. I am a freelance actor and my husband is a Theatre Director but we have just completed a 120hr TEFL course and are looking for work as English Teachers. If we can use our drama skills, even better but not necessary. If anyone has any contacts, info or help of any kind please let me know. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
Hi welcome to our forum!

Although I do not hold myself out as a teacher of English, I have helped a number French people in different formats with English.

To help French people you really need to know how French is taught (verb tense names etc). In France English is taught in a similar manner to French, so you need to know how English is taught. I have been confused when looking at an English text book for 14 year old French children.

To find work try......... A/ large international companies and B/ universities and Ecoles Superières....a lot of engineering and business courses are taught in English, and many students want to work in an English speaking world.

To do A and B....two comments....."networking" and "business cards"

Good luck....DejW

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks DejW

We are both qualified English Teachers as a Foreign Language. We will certainly make some contacts with large international companies and universities and Ecoles Superières. Also with the drama school in Montpellier. :)

·
Registered
5,909 Posts
Why not Montpellier? Loaded question :)
Possibly because everyone wants to do the same. There have been many threads on here about people wanting to move to Montpellier, Bordeaux, Paris, Lyon etc to teach English !!!

I can think of many places in France to move to and teach English, Montpellier, Paris, Lyon, and Bordeaux would be at the bottom of my list.

Again, why Montpellier ?

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
Personally I love Montpellier....busy, thriving, lots of intellect due to universities, medical schools, international companies etc. Not like Perpignan for instance.

Our dear poster Smeggie has a thing about guns....therefore everything is loaded. (duck, weave, hide)

DejW

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Our reasons are culture, universities, architecture and the weather. What places would you recommend Smeg? We are not absolutely set on Montpellier. Our first thought was Nice and the surrounding areas but we feel they are too geared towards the tourist market and that Montpellier could offer us more. Any suggestions would be welcome and we will do some more research. Thanks Smeg.

·
Registered
5,909 Posts
Our reasons are culture, universities, architecture and the weather. What places would you recommend Smeg? We are not absolutely set on Montpellier. Our first thought was Nice and the surrounding areas but we feel they are too geared towards the tourist market and that Montpellier could offer us more. Any suggestions would be welcome and we will do some more research. Thanks Smeg.
The places to teach English are in places you probably don't want to live in. :)

You can't choose the location and then the job. ;)

I would love to move to Charmonix.....but it ain't going to happen.:)

·
Administrator
50,376 Posts
One thing you do need to be aware of is that in France, you can't just do "pick up work" in any old line of work. If you're teaching English (or any language) you need to set up some sort of business entity so that you are properly registered with the various social insurance agencies. And performance related workers have a very special type of registration based on the intermittent nature of that sort of employment.

There is always the "auto-entrepreneur" route - however, you have to choose one line of work and stick with it. You can't have two AE registrations, and you have to pick one category of work for your AE.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
5,909 Posts
It's better than Orleans?
Better in what way ? Orleans is a loverly very calm city.

I would rather be employed in Orleans than unemployed in Montpellier :rolleyes:

I live in a very large non touristy town. Not the sort of place expats dream of moving to. But they are wrong!!! Down the road is a thriving English school....a friend of ours has lessons with them and by all accounts they are looking for teachers. So they must be doing well.

Coincidently, there is also a French run gîte that seems also to be thriving 'all year round' (not just the summer !!!!) as they have just bought another property and opened a second one. I bet most of their customers are not tourists. Think outside the box when opening a gîte !!!!!

So there you go. Smeg is right. Forget Montpellier, Lyon, Bordeaux etc. To much competition......and also there are too many English speaking French students give lessons for 10 euros an hour (google it) so you will be peeing in the wind trying to find business.

Plenty of places similar to where I live in France where you can set up a thriving business. They will also offer you a much better quality of life. It might not have the views, the weather, beach and the glam of Montpellier but you can earn living.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The Telegraph just characterized Montpellier as France's most seductive and underrated city. I can't post the link since this is my first post, but I'm sure if you go to the Telegraph's website and search for Montpellier, it will pop up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts