Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hi Guys,
For the past few months I've been reading this forum and found it so useful for getting a real feel for what life is like over in the UAE :) . I also know how annoying you guys find threads by people posting once for advice about salary and never posting again! so I'm going to make sure I help out when I move over! :p

Anyway I have been offered a move with my company from the UK to Dubai. The offer is pa + housing allowance + 1 return flight, medical etc.
Is this a decent offer? I don't have any wives or kids. will it allow me to get a room in a shared flat in either JBR or the Marina, a half decent car and spend some on clothes, going out and stuff, with enough left over to save a bit?

Thanks!
Hamish

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Yeah, you should definitely be able to do all of the things you mention on a salary like that, the only thing you'll need to factor in is that you'll probably need to have a lump sum to pay for deposit and a couple of months of rent up front, unless you get a room that doesn't require that. You'd also probably be able to afford your own one bedroom apartment somewhere like Jumeirah Lakes Towers or Discovery Gardens which are near the Marina area too.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, you should definitely be able to do all of the things you mention on a salary like that, the only thing you'll need to factor in is that you'll probably need to have a lump sum to pay for deposit and a couple of months of rent up front, unless you get a room that doesn't require that. You'd also probably be able to afford your own one bedroom apartment somewhere like Jumeirah Lakes Towers or Discovery Gardens which are near the Marina area too.
Cheers for that Gavtek. Would you say 60k was at the bottom end of apartments in JBR/Marina? I'd probably be looking for an ensuite room with a marina/sea view sharing with 2-3 other expats.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hamish,

The offer is quite good.

Not sure how sharing would work. I thought it wasn't allowed here (at least officially). 60k might even be enough for a studio in Marina (not in the best tower, though, but I bet it is better than sharing).

I've prepared some information for newcomers like you, check out

For an apt, utilities, car (a bmw3?) and food you wil need around 110,000 AED/year (you've got 250,000 salary + housing). Add up going out (a beer is 35 AED) and some clothes. You will definitely be able to save some money.

Regards,
Ilya
Hi Ilya,
I have already read your guide (have it in my favourites!), it is excellent! I think sharing with the same sex is ok, and unofficially with women as well. I have seen lots of rooms for rent with other people anyway. Was hoping to get some kind of 4x4 (nothing like a 911 anyway!), I think I should be OK with that.

Thanks,
Hamish

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi Ilya,
I have already read your guide (have it in my favourites!), it is excellent! I think sharing with the same sex is ok, and unofficially with women as well. I have seen lots of rooms for rent with other people anyway. Was hoping to get some kind of 4x4 (nothing like a 911 anyway!), I think I should be OK with that.

Thanks,
Hamish
good to hear! good luck!

When you buy a car, keep in mind an important thing - in current economic climate the car should better be easy-to-sell! actually if I were you, I would only buy a car if I was 100% sure the job will not disapper any soon.

Just some experience: the company I work for (a top-100 brand having operations in all world's countries) decided to open 'a center of excellence' in Dubai and moved about a hundred people from around the world in April 2009. In June the company started to lay the people off! I think now we've only got about 30 people left. Later this year they will shut down the office here and the survivors will move out of Dubai to one of the other headquarters.

I was one of the first to move in and one of the first to buy a car, just a day before all that crap was announced :) I will also have to move out of Dubai in two or three months, so if you need an orange Ford Mustang GT 2008 give me a shout...

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
good to hear! good luck!

When you buy a car, keep in mind an important thing - in current economic climate the car should better be easy-to-sell! actually if I were you, I would only buy a car if I was 100% sure the job will not disapper any soon.

Just some experience: the company I work for (a top-100 brand having operations in all world's countries) decided to open 'a center of excellence' in Dubai and moved about a hundred people from around the world in April 2009. In June the company started to lay the people off! I think now we've only got about 30 people left. Later this year they will shut down the office here and the survivors will move out of Dubai to one of the other headquarters.

I was one of the first to move in and one of the first to buy a car, just a day before all that crap was announced :) I will also have to move out of Dubai in two or three months, so if you need an orange Ford Mustang GT 2008 give me a shout...
My company is very small but I am confident I won't lose my job here at least for the next couple of years as we have a big project I am needed on even if we get no other work. I may well be interested in a mustang! I won't be over till april though.

Hamish

·
Registered
21 Posts
So you are definitely moving to Dubai Hamish? How exciting. I am looking at doing the same so would be interested to keep in touch and hear about how you "adjust" to your new life in Dubai.

I am considering moving from New Zealand to teach and currently doing at the moment what it sounds like you have done for the last few months...keeping an eye on posts and advice although this of course differs depending on who you speak to.

Anyway. Happy New Year and good luck with your move. Hope to see you in Dubai later in the year :)

Cheers
Becca

My company is very small but I am confident I won't lose my job here at least for the next couple of years as we have a big project I am needed on even if we get no other work. I may well be interested in a mustang! I won't be over till april though.

Hamish

·
Registered
19 Posts
Good Luck Himesh

Himesh,

You are absolutely right. This website is really very helpful for expats. I signed into this website 2 months ago. I am been offered 300,00AED annual and holiday ticket by the company. I am moving in March. When i told few friends living in UAE about my package, i was told that i will be just meeting my expenses. The reality is that for a single person i think 15,000AED per month will be enough unless you like emptying pockets in 15 days.

There are lot of cars in UAE. I dont know if you would prefer bringing your own car from UK. I am shipping my both cars from Canada. I have just bought Lincoln Aviator few months back and now when i am trying to sell, i am losing $10,000 right away. So i thought it would be better to ship the car in $1200 and pay 4% duty.

I will also look for my accomodation and will be in touch with you, may be you will be able to help me better .

Good Luck

Hi Guys,
For the past few months I've been reading this forum and found it so useful for getting a real feel for what life is like over in the UAE :) . I also know how annoying you guys find threads by people posting once for advice about salary and never posting again! so I'm going to make sure I help out when I move over! :p

Anyway I have been offered a move with my company from the UK to Dubai. The offer is pa + housing allowance + 1 return flight, medical etc.
Is this a decent offer? I don't have any wives or kids. will it allow me to get a room in a shared flat in either JBR or the Marina, a half decent car and spend some on clothes, going out and stuff, with enough left over to save a bit?

Thanks!
Hamish

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.