Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently moved here, I've brought over my Harley Davidson, the tax expires end of may, mot expires 10th 0f June and my ins 13th September. Harley wont ensure with a Spanish ITV. I still have an English address so I could tax it in England. or should I register it in Spain? any advice appreciated.
Clive.

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
I have recently moved here, I've brought over my Harley Davidson, the tax expires end of may, mot expires 10th 0f June and my ins 13th September. Harley wont ensure with a Spanish ITV. I still have an English address so I could tax it in England. or should I register it in Spain? any advice appreciated.
Clive.
By law, if you are living in Spain, as the owner of the vehicle it needs to be registered in Spain. So you should get it matriculated onto Spanish plates, then it will need an ITV and insurance from your Spanish address

Jo xxx

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Firstly, jojo is totally correct that you must legally register the bike in Spain. Even if you could get insurance at a UK address you will find (I am 99% certain of this) that the time out of the country where registered is limited, and if they find that you have exceeded this time, your insurance would be void.

I brought a GSXR 750 from UK to Spain and the insurance covered me for 90 days only.

Registering a bike in Spain is easy compared to a car as the technical adaptations are much less.

From memory, all I had to change was the headlight as the dipped beam was angled to the wrong side, as you would expect, but most newer bikes have flat cut off dipped beams which don't even need to be changed (not sure about Harleys though).

The bike does, however have to be totally standard with no modifcations (unless you have the correct EU docuementation that shows that any non-standard parts are in accordance with EU approvals, specific for your bike and that you have a recognised engineer's report to state that they have been fitted in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions).

In reality of course, people just take off any after market parts and out them back on after the inspection, but this is illegal and according to the forum rules I must tell you to NOT DO THIS under any circumstances...

·
Registered
809 Posts
Hola

You should check your tyres are European - American tyres are not acceptable in Europe - maybe an additional expense - otherwise the process is much the same as a car.

Davexf

·
Banned
97 Posts
I feel for you man :( ,,,been through the re-registering process with my bandit 1250sa, when it come to pay the import tax traffico said that they did not have my model of bike in their 'system' and so used the next more expensive Suzuki bike to calculate the rate of duty due, this was just part of a learning curve when it comes to the way Spain does things,,,,,,,,,,,i just told the gestor to keep the ball rolling and just pay what they ask :( ,All in it cost me about E1200 for a 5 year old bike!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
I feel for you man :( ,,,been through the re-registering process with my bandit 1250sa, when it come to pay the import tax traffico said that they did not have my model of bike in their 'system' and so used the next more expensive Suzuki bike to calculate the rate of duty due, this was just part of a learning curve when it comes to the way Spain does things,,,,,,,,,,,i just told the gestor to keep the ball rolling and just pay what they ask :( ,All in it cost me about E1200 for a 5 year old bike!!!!!!!!
Jeez you were unlucky! My GSXR was only 4 years old when I moved in 2004 and even though I paid duty becasue I left it too long for it to be discountable, I still only paid about 500€.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts