Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the benefit of declaring my mother as non migrating dependent? Would that mean that I would be able to immediately call her after migrating to Australia if she decides to come later on. Also in that case do I still have to pay second installment required for non-functional English. Please advise.

·
Registered
63 Posts
for the installment question.

for non-migrating dependent,no installment needed -- means no fees

but i am not sure about the benefit whether anybody can call her later on? Others please advise?

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Hi ammalik27 and coolkhu,

non-migrating dependents have to pass the health requirements but you don't have to pay any additional fees (except for the medicals). Why? Because the Australian authorities want to estimate the costs if you decide to bring your mom later-on before they grant your visa.

Note that "bringing her later" is difficult and time consuming (or very, very expensive). Take a look at the parent visa processing priorities:

Based on current planning levels, if you are applying for a Parent (non-contributory) visa you can expect an approximate 13 year wait before visa grant consideration after being allocated a queue date.
There is also a contributory parent category of visas, see the full overview of parent visa options. If you apply for a contributory parent visa you only have to wait 1-2 years before they start processing the application. Downside: It costs around 42,000AUD per parent.

If she really is fully dependent on you, I would recommend to include her in the application straightaway. There are also long-stay tourist visa options for extended visits (e.g. 6 months to help your partner with the kids etc.) but she has to return home after that and is just a visitor.

All the best,
Monika

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thanks monika,

But why medical before we decide to add her in application?
They can ask later on if we add her?
Once they decide then we cannot add her? And this medical and pcc will be wasted?

And if non-migrating medical fails means all fail?

for the installment question.

for non-migrating dependent,no installment needed -- means no fees

but i am not sure about the benefit whether anybody can call her later on? Others please advise?

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Hi coolkhu,

well, these are the rules as stated on the Health Examinations page:

Note: The above health examinations will also need to be completed by any non-migrating dependents, that is any members of your family unit who do not intend to migrate and are not included in your visa application, in case they decide to migrate in the future.
Otherwise people would just not mention any dependents in the application that could potentially endanger their application. If you don't mention her as "non-migrating" that can be very problematic if you want to sponsor her with another visa later. "You did not mention your mom as dependent in your 2013 application and now she is all of a sudden and has been for years? Sounds fishy..."

Migration is so expensive that "wasting" a couple of hundred dollars on the medicals is just a drop in the ocean. Getting your mom later will cost you so much more time and money and may not even be possible because parents have to pass the balance-of-family test (i.e. most of her children have to live in Australia).

What I'd recommend: If she is really "dependent" and you have sufficient proof, include her in the application. If she fails the medicals your CO will usually give you the option to remove her from the application (change to non-migrating family member status). Otherwise it is indeed "one fails all fail".

All the best,
Monika

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thanks Monika for your feedback.

Yes I thought the same, thanks for the clarification.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hi Monika and Other Seniors,

Can you please answer the following queries?

How can we apply for non-migrating dependent later on if visa granted for main applicant?

if we can apply for a parent or visit visa category then if I am not wrong then isn't it the same case for non-migrating dependent or other family members? so what's the extra benefit for non-migrating dependent will get over other family members?

Please advise, thanks.

G

·
There is no benefit. They apply for a parent visa the same as everyone else and have to meet the same requirements as them. Oh and they either pay $40k or wait 15yrs for grant, that is after they have waited the 2yrs it takes for them to be able to apply.

·
Registered
63 Posts
If I take your point then why medical & pcc for non-migrating dependent now and not for other family members?

Can you please add your thoughts?

G

·
Because DIAC does not want to separate dependent families. They know they will probably apply for a visa later and do not want you to be seperated from them then because they have to reject them. If they check your dependents upfront they can be sure they are playing no part in separating families.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I didn't get the following point?

"then because they have to reject them"

but as you said NO benefit then even one has to apply in a similar way to that of other family members then whats the reason of just doing medical and pcc up front.. they can do it later on just like others?

Sorry for lots of questions..but i want to remove confusions. hope you understand..

G

·
Because if they reject them as non migrating dependent on your application they also reject you.

If they granted you and not them then they would be playing part in splitting families. So nobody gets a visa.

If you choose to not add them as migrating or non migrating and were granted they may later choose to apply separately for a parent visa. If they are rejected DIAC know they played no part in splitting your family which was instead due to the applicants stupidity.

·
Registered
63 Posts
but non-migrating means, dependents are not coming with you in any case so split case would remain no matter rejected or granted.

in this case they should always reject because they don't want to split families? OR I should say there should be no option for non-migrating dependent..if dependent they always migrating?

G

·
Split case would not remain because there would be the option of them applying for parent visas or last remaining relative in the knowledge they pass the character and health requirement.

·
Registered
63 Posts
means this character and med checks are of no use?

G

·
No they are of plenty of use to DIAC. They ensure every dependent member of your family is able to migrate should they wish to.

·
Registered
63 Posts
so I summed up your feedback, your recommendation is to keep non-migrating dependents away from your application? like consider as other family members?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That is not what I said.
What is the most prudent thing that I can do in filling out EOI. I would like to bring my mother along with me as she is totally dependent on me. However, since she does not has functional English skills, I have to pay additional AUD 4000. Now thats where my problem begins. I just don't have it at this point in time:D. I am totally comfortable with the idea that if she losses I lose too, but to reach that point I have to pay a big sum that I don't have. So I do not have that option.
My second best bet was declaring her as 'non migrating' but what I have understood is that declaring relatives non-migrating only serves the purpose of removing guilt from DIAC conscious and does nothing else. Sound wierd to me but I guess that is the reality.
In the given circumstances, what are the possible options that I have after migrating Australia to bring her with me either by hook or by crook :D.

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Hi ammalik27,

if you want your mom to join you within the next couple of years and if she is dependent on you I would strongly recommend to include her in the application as secondary applicant. It will likely never be that "easy" and "cheap" (by comparison) again. Don't you have any relatives who could lend you (or rather: your mom) the money?

By the way, you should check if your migration plan is viable if you don't have an extra 4,000AUD in the bank. Migrating is super-expensive. My partner and I spent almost 8,000AUD (jointly) before we even landed in Australia (including flight tickets, visa costs and all documents/tests/translations, though). You may be able to save money by roughing it in the first couple of months (shared accommodation, no eating out etc.) but living expenses in Australia are pretty steep. That is balanced by the higher salaries to some extent but the first couple of weeks or months until you get a job can be a huge drain your resources. You really need some cash at the beginning! In Sydney, we pay a weekly rent of 580AUD (for a really nice inner-city apartment, but still). If you sign a lease for an apartment or house you'll need to pay a bond, which is usually around 4 weeks of rent. For a couple, I'd recommend to bring 20,000AUD, for a single person at least 10,000-15,000AUD. People can make do with much less but then you'd have to plan very carefully.

You can save by coming over alone first and getting your mom to join you once you have a good job and decent place to live. Your mom only has to come on a short validation trip and can return home afterwards. But if you include her now you have a 5-year time window within which she can join you :).

Edited to add: Your other options are long-stay visitor visas (for 3/6/12 months after which she has to return home again) or the various parent visa categories. The "standard" parent visas have a wait time of at least 15 years, the "contributory" visas cost over 42,000AUD and still take around 3 years. Crazy, right?

Think about it,
Monika

1 - 20 of 55 Posts