Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The cost of renewing a passport in the UK is just under £80.

The cost of renewing a UK passport in Spain is just under €120. What, the exchange rate hasn't dropped for HM's Government?

Cost of renewing a UK child passport in Spain just under €100.

Cost for a Spaniard to renew his/her 10 year passport, €20 - and they're up in arms because it's gone up a lot!!! + of course, they don't need a passport for anywhere in the EU because they can use their ID card instead. I assume then that the NIE works the same ??

Oh well, pay up and shut up. I guess one just can't fully escape it :mad:

Xose

·
Registered
626 Posts

The cost of renewing a UK passport in Spain is just under €120. What, the exchange rate hasn't dropped for HM's Government?

Cost for a Spaniard to renew his/her 10 year passport, €20 - and they're up in arms because it's gone up a lot!!! + of course, they don't need a passport for anywhere in the EU because they can use their ID card instead. I assume then that the NIE works the same ??

Xose
swap u for the snow and MINUS 5 in a few weeks time :rolleyes::rolleyes: and i will pay for your passport ;)

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Something I never thought of before.....say I left my British Passport expire, would I be unable to leave Spain?

You could X, using your Spanish ID documents, but only to EU Schengen area (ie not to the UK).

That's no skin off your nose though is it? :D

Xose

·
Registered
1,039 Posts

Xose
The thing is Xose, you havent included the cost of the courier service, making it even more expensive - someone told me that that brings it up to nearer 200 for an adult passport!
I think I read in a forum organised by the Foreign office, that the reason it is so expensive is because it is a private agency that arranges the passports for Brits in Spain, rather than a government agency. Hence the rip off. (They didnt quite put it like that, mind you!)

Well, next time, I may just book a cheap flight and get one in the UK. A relative of mine, who lives in Spain renewed his passport in the UK last time, and frankly, just for the principle of refusing to be ripped off in this way, I think its worth doing! :boxing:

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
Would you want to, Xtreme? And would you consider getting a Spanish passport?
I'd have no qualms about getting a Spanish passport.....or relinquishing British citizenship.....cos my passport says nothing about being Welsh. Being British means nothing to me!

If it did say Welsh, they'd have to pry it out of my cold dead hands!

·
Registered
527 Posts
I'd never go back....it's just a strange thought to think that I'd be refused entry to the country where I was born, and where I spent 50 years of my life!
I travel back to the UK approx. 2 a year, by car. It's only 1000 miles door to door and my best time was 15 hours, including ferry crossing, - non stop! The car was on PL plates so usually I was pulled over the HM Customs, since Poland is the European center for amphetamine production & distribution. On one occasion the Customs Officer asked me "how long was I going to stay in the UK". Not thinking twice about the question I retorted 'as long as I like!'. :eek: I could see that he was about to go ballistic :mad: (how dare I back chat him) so I quickly showed him my passport (he didn't even ask to see it) and explained that I was a UK citizen, born & bred.
On reflection I think that he was more interested in how long the car would be in the UK.
Generally I have a healthy disrespect for Government officials who can't be civil. I have had to explain to a few of them that it was I and other tax payers who were employing them - so in a sense I was their boss. Their stock reply was that they paid taxes too, but I pointed out the fallacy in their logic in that the 'taxes' that they were paying was my money in the first place.
I recently calculated that the taxes I paid annually in Poland, kept 2 officials in gainfull full time employment. Now that I am leaving they'll have to find another job:clap2::clap2::clap2:

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
I'm going to have to seriously look into this - like NOW - as my three kids' passports are due to expire next year....and mine in 2015 (although I'll be renewing my British passport) - I'm wondering if it's probably worth going for a dual passport for the kids as their dad is Spanish. They'll have to have a DNI anyway by the time they're 14 for school paperwork anyway. Anyone done this on here??:confused2::ranger:

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
I'm going to have to seriously look into this - like NOW - as my three kids' passports are due to expire next year....and mine in 2015 (although I'll be renewing my British passport) - I'm wondering if it's probably worth going for a dual passport for the kids as their dad is Spanish. They'll have to have a DNI anyway by the time they're 14 for school paperwork anyway. Anyone done this on here??:confused2::ranger:
Not a dual passport, but not relinquishing their UK one and obtaining a Spanish one for them...question remains though. Any experiences out there on this?:confused2:

·
Registered
19,355 Posts
Not a dual passport, but not relinquishing their UK one and obtaining a Spanish one for them...question remains though. Any experiences out there on this?:confused2:

You can't do that Tallulah. You're either Spanish or British. The non relinquishing of passports is for US citizens etc (and it's not really legal for them but they're not asked to relinquish their passports but we are)

You once asked me why would I choose to "become Spanish" Well this is one of the reasons!

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
You can't do that Tallulah. You're either Spanish or British. The non relinquishing of passports is for US citizens etc (and it's not really legal for them but they're not asked to relinquish their passports but we are)

You once asked me why would I choose to "become Spanish" Well this is one of the reasons!
Morning PW!:)

You have a dd though and your OH is Spanish too - what did you sort out for her? Although mine were born in the UK and have British passports, I'm assuming that because my OH is Spanish and we're now resided here, that they could be entitled to Spanish passports??

·
Registered
19,355 Posts
Morning PW!:)

You have a dd though and your OH is Spanish too - what did you sort out for her? Although mine were born in the UK and have British passports, I'm assuming that because my OH is Spanish and we're now resided here, that they could be entitled to Spanish passports??
Hello Tallulah!:)
How's things!
I didn't have anything to sort out, she was born here so she's Spanish. I don't think she needs a British passport.
It's soil not blood that matters. That's what a friend of mine was told when asking about his daughter's nationality. He's British, the mother is from the USA, and the daughter is Spanish coz she was born here, so that's 3 passports in that family. And as Britain doesn't recognize dual nationality...
I also know a family who are US and Algerian and they have 3 passports each because they've just got Spanish nationalty. But it took them over 4 years to get nationality for the 4 family members and constant, constant problems. However they did do it themselves and didn't go to a gestor.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have had to explain to a few of them that it was I and other tax payers who were employing them - so in a sense I was their boss. Their stock reply was that they paid taxes too, but I pointed out the fallacy in their logic in that the 'taxes' that they were paying was my money in the first place.
:

Oh......My.....God.

Please tell me that you don't actually believe what you just wrote!

It's like saying "I pay my taxes, so I own this hospital", or "I pay my taxes so this primary school belongs to me".

Those officials must have been thinking what an a***hole when you came out with that old chestnut.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Oh......My.....God.

Please tell me that you don't actually believe what you just wrote!

It's like saying "I pay my taxes, so I own this hospital", or "I pay my taxes so this primary school belongs to me".

Those officials must have been thinking what an a***hole when you came out with that old chestnut.
I wasn't talking about property I was talking about Civil Servants' wages. If they aren't paid from our taxes then from where?
If these CS's start getting stropy they need to be put in their places, don't you think? ... or maybe we should kowtow to them?!
PS. My brother is a CS.

·
Registered
19,355 Posts
Hello Tallulah!:)
How's things!
I didn't have anything to sort out, she was born here so she's Spanish. I don't think she needs a British passport.
It's soil not blood that matters. That's what a friend of mine was told when asking about his daughter's nationality. He's British, the mother is from the USA, and the daughter is Spanish coz she was born here, so that's 3 passports in that family. And as Britain doesn't recognize dual nationality...
I also know a family who are US and Algerian and they have 3 passports each because they've just got Spanish nationalty. But it took them over 4 years to get nationality for the 4 family members and constant, constant problems. However they did do it themselves and didn't go to a gestor.
And they are oops were non EU

·
Registered
65 Posts
I wasn't talking about property I was talking about Civil Servants' wages. If they aren't paid from our taxes then from where?
If these CS's start getting stropy they need to be put in their places, don't you think? ... or maybe we should kowtow to them?!
PS. My brother is a CS.
Their wages do come from our taxes. And where do our taxes come from? Our salaries, paid by our employers. And where does our employer's money come from? Their clients. And where does their clients' money come from? Well, that line of argument could just go on and on getting more and more ridiculous. So who really is paying their wages??? And does it even matter!!!

The one thing that I am very clear about is that you are not their boss, and you have absolutely no authority over them whatsoever regardless of whether your taxes "pay their wages" or not.

The old "I pay your wages" line (when of course you don't!) is such a cliché and shame on anyone who uses it.

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Their wages do come from our taxes. And where do our taxes come from? Our salaries, paid by our employers. And where does our employer's money come from? Their clients. And where does their clients' money come from? Well, that line of argument could just go on and on getting more and more ridiculous. So who really is paying their wages??? And does it even matter!!!

The one thing that I am very clear about is that you are not their boss, and you have absolutely no authority over them whatsoever regardless of whether your taxes "pay their wages" or not.

The old "I pay your wages" line (when of course you don't!) is such a cliché and shame on anyone who uses it.

Apart from civil servants of course!!!!!!!! Cos their clients are???????????????

Jo xxx

1 - 20 of 58 Posts