Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Landlord round today to eradicate a plague of red backs from the garden furniture.
Spotted a matt of web under the corner, flipped it over, and there they were.

Second dose of red backs in 12 months.

Fun fun fun!

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Landlord round today to eradicate a plague of red backs from the garden furniture.
Spotted a matt of web under the corner, flipped it over, and there they were.

Second dose of red backs in 12 months.

Fun fun fun!
A bit worrying that, usually they're only out the Ranches, Motor City etc. What did he do to get rid of them?

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We were told to be out of the house for 5 hours.
They did outside and in, including lifting manhole covers, and all outdoor furniture and loose things.
Don't know what they used, but there is a chemically smell about..

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Redback spiders sadly suffer from an huge overreaction from people. Very few will have a serious reaction if bitten. If you start seeing Black Widows or Funnel webs - then there's a problem.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Redback spiders sadly suffer from an huge overreaction from people. Very few will have a serious reaction if bitten. If you start seeing Black Widows or Funnel webs - then there's a problem.
agreed, but when you have a landlord that deals with the problem without argument, i'm dealing with the problem. I have a four year old with fingers into everything!

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Ah yes, well when you have little ones about, it's a different story. You're luckly you have a good LL by the sounds of it.

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
We were told to be out of the house for 5 hours. They did outside and in, including lifting manhole covers, and all outdoor furniture and loose things. Don't know what they used, but there is a chemically smell about..
I hope you removed your four-legged furry family member from the house while they were spraying :)

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I hope you removed your four-legged furry family member from the house while they were spraying :)
Yes, she went on a day trip to the neighbour's!

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
And.......... They're back.
Loads this time.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Have roach pif paf, and fly & mosquito pif paf. Is there a spider pif paf, or do the others work?
There's an all insect Pif Paf and Raid. Choits, Union and Spinneys have them all. Have a look at this too http://pestspro.com/page343.html

And just keep kitty out of the area for a couple of days. Oh yes and the kids :)

Sweep up the dead ones immediately as you don't want her sniffing or eating them accidentally as they will still have the pesticides in them. The pest control companies basically use stronger industrial versions of what's in these products.

Try to see if you can find the nest.

Wear a mask when spraying.

I think I've tapped out my FM advice there ;) - good luck.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
There's an all insect Pif Paf and Raid. Choits, Union and Spinneys have them all. Have a look at this too http://pestspro.com/page343.html And just keep kitty out of the area for a couple of days. Oh yes and the kids :)"...........
........ And the tortoise. Oh yes, we seem to be a home for all the waifs and strays, now!

Will do some investigating. Seem to be under the table, under BBQ gas tank. In BBQ........

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
........ And the tortoise. Oh yes, we seem to be a home for all the waifs and strays, now! Will do some investigating. Seem to be under the table, under BBQ gas tank. In BBQ........
Seems you have your work cut out for you this weekend hehe

I've had so many tortoises here. They wander in and we feed them then they seems to just disappear as mysteriously as they arrived! The best was the iguana tho!!

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
planning to get the spray, and also give the tobacco spray a go, too.
keen to avoid too many chemicals if it stays as regular as this.
Was reading that like many spiders they come in as nippers on the wind, so if the area has a good number, you are never going to be able to fully eradicate them.

hey ho - we'll see what happens!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts