Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to the heavy rain, floods and high winds here, my internet is playing up, so I might not be around very much until this all sorts itself out! could be a good few days I think.

Jo xxxx

·
Registered
19,353 Posts
Due to the heavy rain, floods and high winds here, my internet is playing up, so I might not be around very much until this all sorts itself out! could be a good few days I think.

Jo xxxx
Snowing here for the nth time this winter Jo.
Here's another Spanish saying for you
Año de nieves, año de bienes. If it's a snowy winter it'll be a good year money wise. :confused: That's ye olde Spanish wisdom for you!

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My internet and electricity seems to be coming and going!! The really annoying thing is that my husband landed at Málaga this morning and I cant get out to pick him up and he cant get across this damn river to get in. so at the mo he's having a coffee or ten in town with "Sparkplug" from the forum and they're trying to formulate a plan! Sparkplug is an expert "offroader" and thought he would be able to help get mr. jojo across the river in his big landrover thing but even that cant get across!!!!

Jo xxxx

·
Administrator
36,241 Posts
My internet and electricity seems to be coming and going!! The really annoying thing is that my husband landed at Málaga this morning and I cant get out to pick him up and he cant get across this damn river to get in. so at the mo he's having a coffee or ten in town with "Sparkplug" from the forum and they're trying to formulate a plan! Sparkplug is an expert "offroader" and thought he would be able to help get mr. jojo across the river in his big landrover thing but even that cant get across!!!!

Jo xxxx
jeez - you really are getting it this year down there!!

& up there PW

it's really windy here with rain forecast again

will you be moving before next winter then jojo?

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jeez - you really are getting it this year down there!!

& up there PW

it's really windy here with rain forecast again

will you be moving before next winter then jojo?

Its not normally this bad tho - right???? Before we moved here we asked the neighbours about the "dry river bed" next to the road and they said that in the 7 years they'd been here it had never been more than a trickle!!!!!!? :confused2::boxing:

Jo xxxx

·
Registered
19,353 Posts
Its not normally this bad tho - right???? Before we moved here we asked the neighbours about the "dry river bed" next to the road and they said that in the 7 years they'd been here it had never been more than a trickle!!!!!!? :confused2::boxing:

Jo xxxx
I must say you're being very philosofical about all this Jojo. I'd be tearing my hair out! Have you got the Ayuntamiento in on this?

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I must say you're being very philosofical about all this Jojo. I'd be tearing my hair out! Have you got the Ayuntamiento in on this?
I did think about it after you mentioned it, but TBH, I think my ayuntamiento has enough problems with the state of the roads, landslides etc at the mo (The roads in and around Alhaurin de la Torre are a real mess, some have vanished altogether!!!) without having to worry about my little piece of Spain. Altho they did send a digger down here to scrape the mud track further down and to clear the debris and mud after the last flood! At least the internet and electricity are holding out this time and I have my trusty gas fire and a spare bottle - and more importantly I HAVE CIGARETTES!!!

Jo XXXX

·
Registered
896 Posts

Jo xxxx
Hell's teeth!..... flooded again!:eek: Jeez, you've copped it this winter ( you and a lot of southern Spain from all reports:() At least back here in the UK it's just cold, grey & damp....... as if it would be anything else:D

Doggy
p.s. What do I think of the weather?........er......... this:

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hell's teeth!..... flooded again!:eek: Jeez, you've copped it this winter ( you and a lot of southern Spain from all reports:() At least back here in the UK it's just cold, grey & damp....... as if it would be anything else:D

Doggy
p.s. What do I think of the weather?........er......... this:

They made all that fuss in the British media about Madeira and the same thing has been going on along the costa del sol and granada and is happening yet again, but I doubt it'll be mentioned!!!

That little avatar has got to go doggy!!! Altho yes, it sums up how I feel about "sunny Spain" right now!!!:D:D

Jo xxxx

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
"Mr. jojo" has finally got thru the river and is here! Armed with extra food supplies!!! Well done Sparkplug and thankyou! The river had dropped just enough for the landrover to get thru, altho the rain has got heavy again now - we could be stuck in here for a while!

Jo xxx

·
Registered
4,037 Posts

Jo xxxx
Actually last year we had more rain than we'd ever seen in 7 yrs. & this year every one else is getting it but we've only had about 4 days since xmas. It was promised for today & tomorrow but apart from a shower during the night it's been dry as a bone today but cloudy. Normally here in Lorca, we only get rain the last week in september & around easter. Apparently flooding comes around approx. every 20 + years. The last time they were flooded here was 1989 so If we're not this year then possibly next.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Snowing here for the nth time this winter Jo.
Here's another Spanish saying for you
Año de nieves, año de bienes. If it's a snowy winter it'll be a good year money wise. :confused: That's ye olde Spanish wisdom for you!
I was just thinking about this & the last time it snowed here in 2005, ( 1st. time it settled on the ground here for 22 years) the money bit came true. Send me some snow!!!!!!! :D

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
And there's no rain today either & now the sun is coming out !! All my spanish neighbours here say that the forecast of rain is just to give them hope that we will not have to use irrigation water but the rain rarely ever comes.

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
And there's no rain today either & now the sun is coming out !! All my spanish neighbours here say that the forecast of rain is just to give them hope that we will not have to use irrigation water but the rain rarely ever comes.
Well its raining here - AGAIN!!!!!

Jo xxx

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
Who ever said "The Rain in Spain falls mainly on the Plain" had never lived here.

Most weeks since the beginning of December have seen at least two days of rain sometimes as many as seven (sometimes it seems like more!) and if the rain doesn't actually fall, the clouds come down in the valley and everything drips so it might as well be raining!

One of the penalties of living in the mountains, but I wouldn't change it for the world!

Please can we have a smiley with an umbrella?

·
Registered
19,353 Posts
I was just thinking about this & the last time it snowed here in 2005, ( 1st. time it settled on the ground here for 22 years) the money bit came true. Send me some snow!!!!!!! :D
If you can guarantee the money, no problem!!

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
Guess what? It's raining again!

A fair sized chunk of road has collapsed and fallen down one of the hillsides and it looks as though it won't be long before the rest of that stretch of road follows.

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Guess what? It's raining again!

A fair sized chunk of road has collapsed and fallen down one of the hillsides and it looks as though it won't be long before the rest of that stretch of road follows.
Its quite worrying really isnt it. We have a fair few roads around our way where they have started to do the repairs, only to have yet more rain and landslides, destroying what they've started and even more new damaged areas! It cant be good for their finances. The major expansion at Málaga airport is underwater too, so thats gonna mess up their timetable and budget

Jo xxx

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
Have hosted a Golf weekend for my old UK golf society Saturday & Sunday. Played Oliva Nova on Saturday and escaped the rain, Bonalba (Alicante) Sunday and we got quite damp on the back 9. I thought we were pretty lucky to get away with it though as the forecast had been terrible rain for the whole weekend

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.