Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok firstly....you can all say I told you so....I can't get the EEA Family permit I have to travel on the visa :(

UKVI are so crappy....no offense to anyone....but I prefer the advice from here....

So I have a few questions and I'm sorry in advance if I sound confusing etc...:eek:

Can my 14yo son who holds a german passport travel into the UK with the intent to stay on that or not we do meet the financial criteria for both of us travelling on visas (if he can enter on his German passport can he travel with his British/German grandmother?)

Also because we are living with family I won't have anywhere here in Australia to stay after my husband leaves (personal reasons for this please don't ask why I just can't and I can't afford my own place till I get over there) could I (and if I can't well tough luck) could I apply for my visa from Germany or do I need to stay in Australia to apply? my adopted son who lives in Germany has said I can stay with him for as long as I need over there (which obviously would only be for 90 days) plus I have another place to stay in Finland if I need to as well.

I'm asking here cos you guys seem to know things so much better.....
And if any of this is confusing please just ask me loads of questions and I'll attempt to clear it up.

·
Super Moderator
18,073 Posts
You have to apply for a spouse visa from your home country or your normal place of residence which would be a country where you have a long term visa not just a tourist visa so you can only apply from Australia.

·
Super Moderator
1,866 Posts
Ok firstly....you can all say I told you so....I can't get the EEA Family permit I have to travel on the visa :(

UKVI are so crappy....no offense to anyone....but I prefer the advice from here....

So I have a few questions and I'm sorry in advance if I sound confusing etc...:eek:

Can my 14yo son who holds a german passport travel into the UK with the intent to stay on that or not we do meet the financial criteria for both of us travelling on visas (if he can enter on his German passport can he travel with his British/German grandmother?)

Also because we are living with family I won't have anywhere here in Australia to stay after my husband leaves (personal reasons for this please don't ask why I just can't and I can't afford my own place till I get over there) could I (and if I can't well tough luck) could I apply for my visa from Germany or do I need to stay in Australia to apply? my adopted son who lives in Germany has said I can stay with him for as long as I need over there (which obviously would only be for 90 days) plus I have another place to stay in Finland if I need to as well.

I'm asking here cos you guys seem to know things so much better.....
And if any of this is confusing please just ask me loads of questions and I'll attempt to clear it up.

I don't see a problem with your son travelling and entering the UK on his German passport.

It's unlikely that anybody will even ask what his intent is. The only time anybody asked me any questions was when my husband travelled with me before he had his German passport. All other times (and there were many) it was always just "Hello", looks at me, scans passport or ID card, "Thank you."

When my daughter travelled with my parents, I gave them a power of attorney, allowing them to take her to the UK and to make decisions in emergency situations. Nobody wanted to see it.

Where would your son stay once in the UK? Would you or your husband follow soon after him? I am not sure how things like registering him with a GP or a school would work without a parent or guardian there but it might not be problematic, I just don't know.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome thanks ALKB....

Where would your son stay once in the UK? Would you or your husband follow soon after him? I am not sure how things like registering him with a GP or a school would work without a parent or guardian there but it might not be problematic, I just don't know.
We'll both be in the UK before Cam, he won't be arriving till end of June/start of July as we want him to finish out his first half year of year 8 here in Australia and then he'll travel over with my mother in law. We want to be sure of exactly where we are living before he arrives because he has Asperger's syndrome (high functioning but still like's some consistency if that makes sense).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.