Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First question...

Section 6.2 asks "Have you travelled outside your country of residence, excluding to the UK, in the last 10 years?"

How specific do they want me to be?

By virtue of the fact that I live less than 25km north of the Canada/USA border, it's not uncommon for my friends, co-workers, neighbours and I to travel into the US for shopping day trips that are about 12 hours in duration (i.e. get up at the crack of dawn and race to the border to wait to cross before the queue gets to be hours long (it's not uncommon for there be 2-3 hours wait on a bank holiday weekend) and then shop til we drop and come back shortly after dinner).

Does the UKBA want me to try to rack my brain to try to recall ALL of the same day trips to the United States I've made (often my trips lasted less than an hour as I went to fill my car up with cheap petrol) or can I exclude them (the day trips) and just focus on longer trips?

IF the UKBA wants me to include same day visits, I can tell you right now that that info will be incorrect/incomplete, as I'm having a hard time recalling what I did last year, let alone trying to recall how many day trips I might have taken back in 2004 or even 2008. The United States Border Patrol doesn't stamp my passport when I enter the USA by passenger car, so I can't even depend on my (now expired) passports for guidance in this matter.

Second question... am I allowed to write "See Attached" to various questions (i.e. 2.7 regarding all of the passports issued to me over the last decade and the travel questions at 6.1 & 6.2) and type out the section numbers & questions in bold face print followed by my replies together (in chronological order) on a separate sheets of paper and attach them to the back of the application? I ask this because the space(s) that the UKBA initially offers for responses and the space that they offer at section 9.1 "Is there any other information you wish to be considered as part of your application?" isn't going to be nearly enough for all that I have to tell them.

I know that these questions may seem stupid, but I'm trying to make sure that all of my "i's" are dotted and "t's" are crossed before I submit my application and just wanted to get some input from you knowlegeable people who have been through the Fiancée Visa application process.

As always, I thank ALL OF YOU in advance for your help!

·
Registered
112 Posts
I would try to be as honest and accurate as possible with your day trips to the US, being specific when you can based on passport stamps, and trying to remember as many others as possible to the best of your memory. I documented all of my trips to Canada in the past 10 years, even though I didn't have a passport for those trips and traveled using my driving license and birth certificate as you didn't need a passport to travel between the US and Canada at that time. (At least as a US citizen.) I would just say things like "Day trips to USA on date, date, date to shop" Or "X amount of day trips to USA in 20XX to shop"

If it helps, this is what I put in the same section: "AUG 2005, One weekend in Montreal Canada as a Tourist, AUG 2006 for one week in Toronto,Canada Group tourism visit in line with my job as a camp counselor, JUL 2007 Montreal Canada,One Day Taking Camper to airport in Role as Camp Counselor"

·
Super Moderator
5,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've tried to do a work around this problem and have ended up writing something like this (using 2008 as an example)

Various Dates. Bellingham/Seattle, WA, USA. Shopping. 12 hours or less
(less than 10 trips)

November. Honolulu, HI, USA. Vacation. 8 Days"

Would that be specific enough? I've acknowledged that I left Canada to go on day trips to Washington State for under 12 hours but unfortunately, can't be more specific than to offer a ballpark estimate on how many times I went. I know for a fact that the yearly number is generally more than 1 and definitely less than 5-10 trips (I simply don't have that much free time to sit in a border queue to go and shop) but due to the comparative insigificance if the trips (we're generally waved through) am unable to give specifi dates.

I would think (hope?) that the UKBA just wants to see that yes, I do travel abroad and when I do, I don't cause trouble or do any damage to anything other than my bank balance.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.