Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're buying a car in France in Gironde department, but will be moving to Pyrenees-Atlantiques in 2 months. Our new car will only be 2 years old, can anyone tell me if we will need to register with our new department when we move and / or get new plates for the car?

If we just need to register the vehicle in the new department i've heard the cost is 35 Euro, but if we need to get new plates and register we're looking at around 300 Euro.

Advice as ever, greatly appreciated.

Anything else that we should know about as well, please feel free to provide extra info!

Thanks
Sarah

·
Registered
154 Posts
If you are buying a 2 year old car in the Gironde very soon you should in theory register it at your present address - being 2 years old or less it probably has the new "for life" number plates already on it. When you move in 2 months you will have to register it at your new address in the Pyrenees-Atlantiques, if I am correct, within a month following your move. If the car is registered under the new "for life" system the reg n° will not change (as in the UK) - On the right side of the plate there is an "F" on a blue background which can't be changed - on the right a dept n°, no doubt a "33", on a blue background - this you can change if you wish by buying new plates. This is your choice, I have a friend from dept "29" who's kept it his plates despite his move to dept "35". He has however been to the Prefecture to get a new logbook because of a change of address.

If the car you are buying is still registered under the old dept system you or the garage that is selling it will have to get new plates

I've no idea of tarifs as I haven't changed car since 2009, my present vehicle still has it's original plates XXX ZZZ 35 - if I moved one day, even 50m down the road, I'd have to re-register the vehicle and have new "for life" plates, and pay !!

My classic car has "for life" plates but has white characters on a black background - this is a specific régime for classic cars.

Sorry not to be of more help

·
Registered
Lived in US, France, Canada, & UK
1,325 Posts
...He has however been to the Prefecture to get a new logbook because of a change of address.
We're about to begin the process of researching & buying a car. You mention getting a "Logbook" at the Prefecture. What's the log book for? What does one log in it?

Thanks.

Ray

·
Registered
154 Posts
Sorry, used the old name in the UK for the "Carte Grise" or registration documents - in the UK before the mids 1970,s the registration document was passed on from owner to owner "logging in" the names of the specific owners - the log book followed the car around. This was changed when vehicle info went on computers

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Sorry, used the old name in the UK for the "Carte Grise" or registration documents - in the UK before the mids 1970,s the registration document was passed on from owner to owner "logging in" the names of the specific owners - the log book followed the car around. This was changed when vehicle info went on computers
Good. I actually understand Carte Gris! I feel like I'm making progress.

Thanks.

Ray

·
Administrator
51,363 Posts
This is the Service Public page on getting a new carte grise (though it's called something else nowadays) when you buy a used car: Acquisition d'un véhicule d'occasion en France - Service-public.fr

But, this is the page for registering a change of address for your car registration: Changement d'adresse sur le certificat d'immatriculation - Service-public.fr

As long as you have the "new style" registration certificate, there is no fee, no tax for the first three times you change the address on the same registration. They just insist that you notify them of your change of legal address. On the fourth change of address, you have to get a new registration certificate, and for that you have to pay.

The license plates are no longer associated with the departement you live in, and you can now do the formalities at any prefecture you choose. The departement number on the license plates was simply an olive branch to all those who moaned about not having any connection to "their" departement - and in fact, you can have any departement number you like on your plates. (I'm hoping this extends to departement 99 - the number they use for us furriners...)
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to everyone for being so helpful. I think the car we're looking at has the new plate system, and the dealership we're buying from have said they'll organise the carte gris in our name for us. When we move further south we'll just have to register it at the Prefecture, and hopefully we won't have to pay for the change since it's our first time, as Bev mentioned.

Anyway fingers crossed it all goes smoothly.

Thanks again for the great help.
Sarah

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.