Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The ITCRA released their Submission for Skills Australia SOL2012 update, you can read the report here:

link

Basically Skills Australia creates/updates their SOL list based on submissions from PRofessional bodies, the main ones are ACS, ITCRA & ACDICT . They are the ones who inform skills australia if there are any occupations that need to be removed, So far ITCRA released their submission to Skills Australia.

The good News ITCRA clearly states that there is absolutely no oversupply of ICT professionals, infact they highlight of a huge shortage. :thumb:

ACS also has a report on their website, but its not clear yet if its for last year or for this year.

I'm keeping an eye on ACDICT in order to see when they release their report. But this report should come as a relief for those expecting ICT occupations such as BA removed from SOL.

·
Registered
194 Posts
The ITCRA released their Submission for Skills Australia SOL2012 update, you can read the report here:

link

Basically Skills Australia creates/updates their SOL list based on submissions from PRofessional bodies, the main ones are ACS, ITCRA & ACDICT . They are the ones who inform skills australia if there are any occupations that need to be removed, So far ITCRA released their submission to Skills Australia.

The good News ITCRA clearly states that there is absolutely no oversupply of ICT professionals, infact they highlight of a huge shortage. :thumb:

ACS also has a report on their website, but its not clear yet if its for last year or for this year.

I'm keeping an eye on ACDICT in order to see when they release their report. But this report should come as a relief for those expecting ICT occupations such as BA removed from SOL.
good find tnx, ict people should feel relief

·
Registered
39 Posts
good find tnx, ict people should feel relief
Hi,

Thats a good news for ICT ppl. Wish you the best of luck. I am not from ICT but I have electronics engineer in flagged list. Dont know if it is going to be removed from the new SOL list or not but it certainly has high chance if I go by the report published wrt to Electronics....

Fingers Crossed!! i guess its out of our hands!! :cool:

·
Registered
353 Posts
This is good news both for those who are going to apply for a visa and also for those who are going to fly to Oz. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
yes, but remember, there are so many ICT codes that are not currently listed on the SOL that they could very well be talking about other paths like, ICT customer support, or ICT digital media developer, or CIO, etc.

So while they don't think there is a shortage of ICT skills, I think the term "ICT Skills" is too general. They will probably give other anzco codes a chance to prevent an oversupply of one skill set.

·
Registered
134 Posts
JBY- I was unable to open the link you have submitted and I think a user ID and password is required for logging in and reading this. SInce I am not a member of ITCRA I was not able to log in. Can someone who is able to open this link may be paste the literature here?

·
Registered
134 Posts
stormgal- I get your point, but do you think with addition of new codes removal of existing ones are necessary. Looking at the codes that were removed from 2011 SOL there was clear indication from the concerned authorised bodies that there was over supply and demand was in shortfall which is not the case in these 2 reports for the ICT codes that are in the flagged list. Thoughts??

Reactions: vickey1 and JBY

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
stormgal- I get your point, but do you think with addition of new codes removal of existing ones are necessary. Looking at the codes that were removed from 2011 SOL there was clear indication from the concerned authorised bodies that there was over supply and demand was in shortfall which is not the case in these 2 reports for the ICT codes that are in the flagged list. Thoughts??
Hey Sanjukta, u don't need a login but i just noticed that the link is now dead and ITCRA seems to have removed it from their website i wonder why ;)

Unfortunately i didn't download the pdf , if someone else did manage to download the PDF please upload the attachment here on this post for others to read. Meanwhile i'll try to get my hands on it.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
yes, but remember, there are so many ICT codes that are not currently listed on the SOL that they could very well be talking about other paths like, ICT customer support, or ICT digital media developer, or CIO, etc.

So while they don't think there is a shortage of ICT skills, I think the term "ICT Skills" is too general. They will probably give other anzco codes a chance to prevent an oversupply of one skill set.
Agreed, but what i noticed is that in both the ACS & ITCRA SOL2012 reports, when asked specifically "are there any certain occupation currently in oversupply" , answer was a straightforward No in both cases. I'm sure they would've at least hinted otherwise that certain codes need to be revised.

Ofcourse in the end no one can tell 100%, for all we know skillsaustralia can disregard these reports and go berserk on ICT occupations and take them off!! But at least these reports are giving ICT peeps some positive hope, especially those who applied late and/or stuck on/anticipating security checks which may cause their applications to flood over Jul2012....as per my extensive research so far, skillsaustralia always bases their final decision on those reports.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good news.

By the way link is still active.
Is it ? weird doesn't seem to be working for me anymore, oh well who knows what's up :confused2:

Emaily, can u download the pdf and upload it as an attachment this thread, so others who can't access the link anymore can read it. thnx ! :)

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Yes, I see now with the report Jim Jams posted. That is very good news.

Without the report, we can only go by the "flagged" list that they have up. Why do they still have it up, I wonder, since the flagged list is from the same organization, so lets hope the best.

http://www.skillsaustralia.gov.au/l...-occupations/documents/FlaggedOccupations.pdf

·
Registered
4 Posts
Came across the "2011 ACS Statistical Compendium" on "acs.org.au" news section. As per the compilation, there doesn't seem to be any negative news in the ICT industry at all. Makes me think, the ICT occupations will stay on the SOL atleast for some time.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Here is the link of 2011 ACS Statistical Compendium ACS (Australian Computer Society) - ACS News

Here is the text extract, favourable points are highlighted in red and bold

2011 ACS Statistical Compendium
==========================
•Value of digital economy in 2011 was $100 billion
•ICT demand forecasts 14,000 extra jobs in 2012 and up to a total of 35,000 by 2013•University ICT annual enrolments down in NSW, VIC, QLD, WA & TAS

Tuesday, 28 February 2012 - The Australian Computer Society (ACS) today released the annual Australian ICT Statistical Compendium, a comprehensive analysis of statistical data about ICT economic and social trends.

The report is available here: www.acs.org.au/2011compendium

Designed to provide ICT policy makers and business leaders with annual and trend data, the ACS annual compendium is an important summary of how the local Australian ICT industry is performing.

Key findings from the Compendium include:

Value of digital economy is $100 billion

Revenue of ICT industry - $82 billion

Flat year on year

ICT demand forecasts 14,000 jobs in 2012 and 21,000 jobs in 2013
Jobs demand in ICT growing

University ICT annual enrolments down in NSW, VIC, QLD, WA & TAS

National enrolments less than half the number of a decade ago

ICT workers in Australia – 554,700

Steady + 1.7%

Temporary ICT migrants to Australia – 8,530

Decline of 25%

ICT R&D - $5.2 billion

Increase of 20%

ICT exports (excluding re-exports) - $4.5 billion

Flat + 0.13%

Alan Patterson, ACS Chief Executive, said the report confirmed Australia’s urgent need for coordinated policy focus on ICT given its value and the demands in the broader economy for skills: “The digital economy contributed a significant $100 billion to Australia in 2011,” he said.

“Although ICT demand is increasing even in uncertain economic conditions, the number of domestic students choosing ICT as a career is insufficient to meet demand for skills.

“Australia’s Higher ICT education enrolments are under half of what they were a decade ago and are continuing to decline as a percentage of all higher education enrolments. With ICT demand of 35,000 extra jobs by 2013, promoting ICT as a rewarding career needs to be a top priority to ensure our developing digital economy is fully funded, sustained and competitive.

“Given the importance of the digital economy to Australia’s economic prosperity, and its added value to business, health, education and other sectors, we hope addressing falls in ICT enrolments will be a key focus of 2012 government agendas.

“The compendium also revealed a drop in skilled ICT migration, suggesting Australia’s ICT employment requirements cannot be met easily. To accommodate predicted demand, additional emphasis on local uptake of ICT is required,” said Mr Patterson.

·
Registered
43 Posts
All the above reports only holds good for ICT or is it the same for Software and Applications Programmers?

Does Software and Applications Programmers come under ICT?

2611 - ICT Business and Systems Analysts
2613 - Software and Applications Programmers

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
All the above reports only holds good for ICT or is it the same for Software and Applications Programmers?

Does Software and Applications Programmers come under ICT?

2611 - ICT Business and Systems Analysts
2613 - Software and Applications Programmers
Yes that also falls under ICT , also notice the similar codes 261x

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.