Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I know I have asked all the banking questions before on what to provide, etc, but a big question I have is about moving my funds to use them once I have submitted the letter from the bank.

Like, my bank letter will state my balance is 20,000 Canadian dollars. But after I submit it, I need to use some of the funds to pay my credit card down low enough to cover the visa fees and also need to pay for my airline tickets, etc.

Do the UKBA call and check with your bank usually? Or do they accept the letter as proof enough?

Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would expect the UKBA would do some calculating themselves as they would in no way have access you your banking records apart from the information you submit yourself. Just be honest as possible, and don't panic to much, everyone has debt.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Hi

I know I have asked all the banking questions before on what to provide, etc, but a big question I have is about moving my funds to use them once I have submitted the letter from the bank.

Like, my bank letter will state my balance is 20,000 Canadian dollars. But after I submit it, I need to use some of the funds to pay my credit card down low enough to cover the visa fees and also need to pay for my airline tickets, etc.

Do the UKBA call and check with your bank usually? Or do they accept the letter as proof enough?

Thanks
UKBA officially requests last 3 months of the bank statements but its safe to send last 6 months. The purpose is to see if one has sufficient funds as well as to ensure that a huge amount did not suddenly appear or disappear i.e. for inconsistencies (and if there are some 'unusual' movements of money just place a note beside it stating the reason).

UKBA usually do not check with your bank unless its something highly suspicious. Of course we all need to access our funds to pay for the bills. In your cover-letter you can state you have included your bank statements which states you have xx amount of dollars and this is your main bank account which you access to pay for your bills as well as intend to buy airline ticket.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I explained on a previous thread that my situation with banking is a bit strange and I hope they accept it. I stopped using my former joint account with my ex husband for savings and for the past few years have put all my savings into my mum's account. A couple of months ago I opened my own account and my mum transferred my savings of $20,000 into it.
I have a letter from mum's bank stating: With regards to account holder ________, this letter is to advise that our records show that her daughter, ________, has been making consistent deposits into this account over an extended period of time.
I also have a letter from my bank showing my account is new and the date it was opened along with all transactions since it was opened including the large transfer of money and the current balance.
I really hope they won't question this....

·
Registered
89 Posts
We had a "suspicious" bump to our account, when I received an inheritance from my late uncle's passing. We included correspondence letters from my uncle's estate lawyers with our application package, explaining the additional monies. They didn't keep copies of many of the items in our package, but these letters were among those that they kept, so explaining where the finances come from is obviously important.

You may want to include information from your mum's account, highlighting which deposits and withdrawals were yours. Any deposit slips, Direct Deposit forms on file with your HR department, cancelled cheques, payslips in identical amounts, or anything else to help corroborate those amounts would be great, since your name wasn't actually on your mum's account. At the very least, on YOUR statement, I'd highlight the deposits you've made, and on YOUR MUM's statement, highlight the deposits that match those amounts (in amount, dates/frequency, etc.). Hopefully the ECO will be able to use the letter from her bank to draw a connection between those amounts and show that they're clearly from you.

Oh, and no, they don't expect your bank account to have the exact same amount when you move as it did when you filled out your visa application. One of the reasons they ask for so many months of statements is so they can get a general idea of how often you dip into your overdraft. (Is that overdraught in the UK? These are the things I'm going to have to learn.) If you're flat broke every four weeks, it means little that you have CA$10K on the second of each month.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hmmm the problem is that my mum is unwilling to share any of her account details or transactions. She asked the bank for the letter and the bank could see my name listed as depositing many amounts over the years which is why they gave us that letter. But I do not have any records beyond the banks letter...do you think they will question this or be accepting of it?

My own bank states my account was newly opened in March with minor transactions until the large one of course...

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Or would it be better to simply not bother with the bank letters and anything about my mum's account and just say I have recently acquired this money as a gift from mum along with a letter from her? What would be the best way to go?

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Include the letter from Mum's bank and a very brief, concise explanatory note from you-"My mother is not willing for her bank records to be a part of this application." Period.

I'd send that banker an effusive thank-you note, though:)

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just had a call from a friend of mine, another single mum of three kids like me. She just was given a windfall of back taxes for her child who was diagnosed with ADHD, so she got all at once a lump sum of $16,000. She wants to come with me as she has the ability to also apply for ancestry...it would be fantastic to have the adventure together and help each other. But the first thing she said is how does she justify the banking since it is a deposit from the government of such a massive size all at once? Would UKBA be ok with that or would they not consider that reasonable savings?

·
Registered
39,079 Posts
travelspice said:
I just had a call from a friend of mine, another single mum of three kids like me. She just was given a windfall of back taxes for her child who was diagnosed with ADHD, so she got all at once a lump sum of $16,000. She wants to come with me as she has the ability to also apply for ancestry...it would be fantastic to have the adventure together and help each other. But the first thing she said is how does she justify the banking since it is a deposit from the government of such a massive size all at once? Would UKBA be ok with that or would they not consider that reasonable savings?
First as ancestry visa applicant, her financial requirement is less stringent and she only needs enough to survive the first month or so. $16000 is around £10000 and it's more than enough. Just add a note to her bank statement about its source, or else they may find it fishy - like money borrowed to boost her balance artificially, say. Better still, enclose the government document to show what it is.

Is she a Commonwealth citizen with UK-born grandparent? Americans aren't eligible for ancestry visa.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.