Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about buying a moped out in Dubai. I realise most people use taxis but I hate waiting for transport. Does anyone know any moped shops or hire companies out there?

Thanks,

S3M

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
It would be safer walking through downtown Kabul waving an American flag covered in bacon than it would be riding a moped around Dubai.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
If you have a full bike licence bikes are pretty good value here but I completely agree with Gavtek that riding a low powered moped here would be virtual suicide. I`ve been riding here for a couple of years and have had bikes all my life, the roads of Dubai are dangerous be careful and write a will first.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lol - okay wow can it really be that bad? Does anyone ride a moped out there? Do they manage to survive? Why are they such bad drivers?

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
It`s a cultural thing and it is that bad. I come from a country where road racing is a big part of motorcycling and where drivers are aware of bikes. However here is the only country that I have riden where people in 4x4`s have deliberately tried to force me off the road.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
lol - okay wow can it really be that bad? Does anyone ride a moped out there?
Yes it can, there are a few couriers and pizza delivery drivers but that's about it

Do they manage to survive?
People in cars and 4x4's don't always survive.

Why are they such bad drivers?
How long have you got?

Locals 'passing' their driving test with a brown envelope. High percentage of ex-pats from countries with equally as bad driving standards. Arrogance. Bullying. Traffic jams and gridlock frustrating people so that they feel to need to go for it when the traffic is flowing. General stupidity. People in high powered cars they can't handle. People in 4x4's the size of lorry cabs with limited visibility. People wearing shades in blacked out vehicles, at night. And a general disregard for anyone else and human life.

·
Super Moderator
5,063 Posts
I was thinking about buying a moped out in Dubai. I realise most people use taxis but I hate waiting for transport. Does anyone know any moped shops or hire companies out there?

Thanks,

S3M

Is that bravery?? A moped in Dubai???? I feel as if I'm taking my life in my hands driving a car!

Find a reliable taxi company

·
Registered
26 Posts

Thanks,

S3M
Is this a joke? Only been in Dubai for one month and I'm looking to buy the biggest vehicle I can possibly afford in the hope that I will be safer when driving! And as for waiting for transport... there are so many taxi's around that you would never have to wait for more than a few minutes.
Good luck though if you really want to go the moped route.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.