Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve followed this forum for a long time and read a lot on here. Based on it all, I’ve pieced together a projected budget for us. I posted a similar message a couple of months ago in the salary thread, but I started a new thread in hopes to get some fresh input on it. I’m not asking for opinions on an offer I’ve received (though I still might!). Instead, I want to really understand what our cost base might be. I’d be happy to hear where I am right, wrong, or lacking.

About us – married couple with one child (3-years old). We would plan on a 2-bed apartment.

Projected monthly budget (not including non-recurring items such as start-up costs and vacations):

Rent - 10,000 (120k annual, but for convenience listed as monthly)
Housing Tax - 500
DEWA (utilities) - 500
Cable/Internet - 500
Car payments (all-in) - 2,500
Fuel - 400
Other transportation - 700 (assumed 1-car for wife/kid and husband uses combo of taxis & metro for work)
Nursery School - 3,400
Mobile phones (2) - 300
Food - 2,700
Entertainment - 1,500
Miscellaneous - 1,500

Total: 24,500/month.

I would very much appreciate any constructive inputs and advice on the above. While I am not confident about a number of these projections, the two that are the most confusing based on what I read are the DEWA charges and food costs. Thanks!

·
Registered
228 Posts
I’ve followed this forum for a long time and read a lot on here. Based on it all, I’ve pieced together a projected budget for us. I posted a similar message a couple of months ago in the salary thread, but I started a new thread in hopes to get some fresh input on it. I’m not asking for opinions on an offer I’ve received (though I still might!). Instead, I want to really understand what our cost base might be. I’d be happy to hear where I am right, wrong, or lacking.

About us – married couple with one child (3-years old). We would plan on a 2-bed apartment.

Projected monthly budget (not including non-recurring items such as start-up costs and vacations):

Rent - 10,000 (120k annual, but for convenience listed as monthly)
Housing Tax - 500
DEWA (utilities) - 500
Cable/Internet - 500
Car payments (all-in) - 2,500
Fuel - 400
Other transportation - 700 (assumed 1-car for wife/kid and husband uses combo of taxis & metro for work)
Nursery School - 3,400
Mobile phones (2) - 300
Food - 2,700
Entertainment - 1,500
Miscellaneous - 1,500

Total: 24,500/month.

I would very much appreciate any constructive inputs and advice on the above. While I am not confident about a number of these projections, the two that are the most confusing based on what I read are the DEWA charges and food costs. Thanks!
somewhere here on the forum there is a nice Excel tool for exactly these calculations. I used it and it was very useful to me...is-it-worth-it or so...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
somewhere here on the forum there is a nice Excel tool for exactly these calculations. I used it and it was very useful to me...is-it-worth-it or so...
I seem to remember one on this forum too, but was unable to find it again. I found a link to a spreadsheet on another forum though. It is pretty detailed, but it is over a year old. I also don't understand some of the line items so it is limited in use for me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts