Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is Dubai, people come and go .. and we are still here :)

unfortunately, for the past 4 years, we've seen our circle of friends shrinking. We are left with 3 of our good friends, but we thought it is time to find new connections who share same interests.

we are both in our 40's, enjoy traveling, cooking (real foodies here), cars, music, cinema, museums & theater (specially when we travel), photography, more wine lovers than gym lovers, but need to keep fit so we became gym goers !

We both enjoy having projects to work on: house renovations, business ideas etc. Gadget and tech addicts too!

We love kids, but due to the situation, obviously we cant have any , so we substituted that part by Cats. yep we are cat lovers too!

Allergic to arrogance and xenophobic behaviors :ban: other than that, we are pretty much your regular next door neighbors . . . with lovely shoes !:cool2:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hi Guys!!

We too are in our 40's . Grown kids (not living in Dubai with us). LOVE to travel. Avid SCUBA divers. Love good dinners with friends (both out and in). Dog people (sorry). We are moving to Dubai in the next two weeks. Would love to meet!

Will drop a PM when we are actually in town.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well you can never go wrong with Church's ... But you might consider Lodger too.

Brogues made a huge come back ... They are very fashionable, so they are available with all high street shoe makers, but you will only be fooling yourself and maybe someone who doesn't know about shoes :)

The cheaper and really good alternative is Grenson, and guess what Bloomindgales Dubai Mall started stocking them, and surprisingly at decent price. Saying that you won't get the same choice as in their online store or stores in London.

I am big fan of Paul Smith shoes, but his Brogues are different, so you really have to try them out. The PS stuff in Dubai is way too expensive.. We usually buy ours from the UK .

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Well you can never go wrong with Church's ... But you might consider Lodger too.

Brogues made a huge come back ... They are very fashionable, so they are available with all high street shoe makers, but you will only be fooling yourself and maybe someone who doesn't know about shoes :)

The cheaper and really good alternative is Grenson, and guess what Bloomindgales Dubai Mall started stocking them, and surprisingly at decent price. Saying that you won't get the same choice as in their online store or stores in London.

I am big fan of Paul Smith shoes, but his Brogues are different, so you really have to try them out. The PS stuff in Dubai is way too expensive.. We usually buy ours from the UK .
Tah pal.

These will be primarily for work, so I'm looking to get 2/3 pairs of shoes that I can wear for 4-6 months of the year, and have them last a few years too.

Those Grenson's seem intriguing, particularly as my budget isn't normally generous. However I'm willing to stretch if they'll last me a long time, and can re-sole/re-hell good leather ones.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The secret behind shoes is to get at least 6 pairs. I never wear the same shoes twice in the same week. This way they last forever.

You should also invest in good polish and actually try to polish your shoes once a week.

I have shoes which lasted 10 years and they still look new. Good quality shoes do not come cheap, but they last forever if you take good care of them.

Grensons are good! I have four or five pairs. 3 pairs for work and they are really great. Just make sure you try which fit would work for you : the G or the F. If u don't want to spend a fortune, then U could subscribe to their mailing and be informed about their online sale.

But to be honest expect to pay at least 150 £ for a pair even on sale. Church's will be around 250 to 350£. But again, they are proper shoes, if you like looking smart. If you are not bothered then probably Clark's would do.. But I won't be able to help there coz I have no clue about their quality and made :) I just know that they are missing a major ingredient : style !

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tah pal.

These will be primarily for work, so I'm looking to get 2/3 pairs of shoes that I can wear for 4-6 months of the year, and have them last a few years too.

Those Grenson's seem intriguing, particularly as my budget isn't normally generous. However I'm willing to stretch if they'll last me a long time, and can re-sole/re-hell good leather ones.
Oh I was picking up my shoes this morning and realized that I've forgotten to mention "Loake" as a good option for work shoes. Their comfort line in the Brogues is really good. The Bailey and the Waterloo are my favorites. They are comfortable and look the part. I can't remember what I paid for mine, but probably you will not get much change from 200£. However, again you need to check what fit are you.

I got my Loakes from a very nice shop in Manchester, specialized in Brogues.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
If I could afford 5/6 pairs I'd certainly buy them, but for the time being my budget doesn't let me go beyond say £500/600.

I went past Bloomingdales last night on a whim. No dice I'm afraid, they don't have any stock in.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If I could afford 5/6 pairs I'd certainly buy them, but for the time being my budget doesn't let me go beyond say £500/600.

I went past Bloomingdales last night on a whim. No dice I'm afraid, they don't have any stock in.
Are you going to the UK soon? I recommend you wait an get your shoe from there. Unfortunately the choice is rather limited in Dubai, and the prices far too high. For 600£ you could score probably 3 pairs.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Are you going to the UK soon? I recommend you wait an get your shoe from there. Unfortunately the choice is rather limited in Dubai, and the prices far too high. For 600£ you could score probably 3 pairs.
Doubt I'll be back in the UK for at least 2 years.

Even if I knew my sizes, would probably have to pay import tax on even a single pair, due to the prices.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The other place you could check is the Outlet Mall on Al ain road. Maybe you could get some luck there

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Jermyn Street in London in January is a fantastic place to pick up traditional, well made shoes. Especially brogues. As Boris said still not cheap but 180 quid shoes (minimum) + 40 for the willow shoe trees + 30 for polish and laces is a great investment that will last you for life.

Selfridges in London is always worth a look in January and Bicester village all year round has both Churches and Paul Smith outlets. I've often picked up a load of PS t-shirts there for 20 quid each then seen the same ones on sale here at full Dubai price.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Definitely yay but see also Loakes and Trickers for a quality brogue.
Churches are good but my preference is for Barkers. Hand made and Goodyear welted in Earls Barton. Choice of full or half brogues.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Roxtec Blue said:
Churches are good but my preference is for Barkers. Hand made and Goodyear welted in Earls Barton. Choice of full or half brogues.
Me too for barkers, if on a budget Peter Jones own brand are Ok and can often be found for £100

1 - 20 of 109 Posts