Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does it have to be in a bank account to use the money from trust fund? Someone asked if it is allowed or will it have to be transferred to a personal bank account? Their problem is that it will have a lot of tax on it if it's in a bank account.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,202 Posts
I believe that the only stipulation is that the money is "instant access," meaning that if the account holder went to the bank this afternoon, he or she could withdraw any amount of money without having to wait x amount of time before the funds are released.

So, if they can get money from the trust fund immediately, then it's fine to keep it there.

·
Super Moderator
5,202 Posts
It doesn't matter to the Home Office if there is a withdrawal penalty charged to the account holder if the money is taken (that's none of their concern), just as long as the money can be withdrawn immediately.

·
Registered
39,247 Posts
It's more complicated than that. A trust fund is administered by trustee(s), so you as the beneficiary don't have access to it but only if the trustee(s) agree to release funds to you. Also the account has to be in your or your partner's name, singly or jointly.

·
Super Moderator
5,202 Posts
I stand corrected.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
As stated Trust Funds can be complicated instruments, basically designed to protect the assets for the benefit of named Beneficarys, in a Tax efficient way. There can be all manner of conditions regarding how the fund is managed and distributed and often Beneficaries can only access funds at pre-determined times. Trust Funds can include property, company shares etc as well as cash.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.