Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
Thanks for taking the time to read this thread,

My partner and I have lived in France for 10 years and are looking to embark on building our first property. Due to our combined contract status (CDD & auto entrepreneur) we are ineligible for a traditional mortgage. House prices in our region (Landes 40) are highly elevated leaving little opportunity for young families to get a foot on the property ladder.

We are therefore looking at purchasing a plot of land and creating a low-cost container home. Our plans are no larger than 120m² (three containers) which means we can avoid the cost of architect’s fees and we have already made contact with a local supplier for the raw materials and labour. This construction has no traditional foundations but will be plumbed and have access to all the usual urban amenities.
I understand French local councils can be very stringent on this type of modular housing and before I get laughed down at our Mairie, I would like to hear any advice people may have on this subject.

All feedback is welcomed concerning planning permission, types of terrain, legality, hidden costs etc.

If there are any individuals out there that have firsthand experience, I would love to hear from you.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts