Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are spending 3 months in France near Port Grimaud and want to know the best arrangement we canmake for service both inside France and Italy. the house we are renting does not come equipped with internet. Any suggestions.

·
Administrator
50,415 Posts
Not sure what your Internet options might be - though that will depend on your needs. But for mobile phones, I'd look into one of the "cheap rate" services: Free, BandYou, Sosh, Red or the like. The big advantage is that you don't have a fixed contract, so could take the service for just 3 months (as long as you remember to cancel at the appropriate notice period). Most of them offer "free" (i.e. included in the monthly fee) calls to Italy, though only to fixed phones. Take a look at the respective websites to get an idea of whether their services will suit you.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure what your Internet options might be - though that will depend on your needs. But for mobile phones, I'd look into one of the "cheap rate" services: Free, BandYou, Sosh, Red or the like. The big advantage is that you don't have a fixed contract, so could take the service for just 3 months (as long as you remember to cancel at the appropriate notice period). Most of them offer "free" (i.e. included in the monthly fee) calls to Italy, though only to fixed phones. Take a look at the respective websites to get an idea of whether their services will suit you.
Cheers,
Bev
Thanks, your suggestions give me a starting point. Very helpful!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unfortunately, no. We would be taking my mobile phone from Italy. I'm now thinking that I would have to get a SIM from either Free or whoever is the best coverage in Var and buy it there and do a pay as you go arrangement?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I live in Var and have a free.fr SIM and also another from Lebara. For Free you need a French bank account and address. For EUR 2 you get 120 minutes to France and most landlines in the world. My wife pays EUR 20 and gets unlimited calls.

Lebara you can buy the SIM and top-up in any tabac and it is also far cheaper for international calls to mobiles. As I do phone mobiles abroad I use both as lebara is much cheaper than Free if you are calling an international mobile. Free is cheaper if you are calling in France or landlines abroad so I use both.

Both work fine absolutely fine in Var (at least where I am in Toulon). I'd probably go for Lebara in your case. It is just easier and quicker to set up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good information. Merci! We will be in the village of Grimaud, near St. Tropez and the coverage map looks as if we can get 4G coverage so we should be fine. I looked up the Cafe Clem near the house and they say they have no charge wi-fi (free) in a pinch. I'll ask them when we get there for advice, if they care to bother. BTW do the restaurants in the village close after October. I was quite taken aback to see that some of them did. We will be there from Oct. to Jan.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
See if you can get hold of a Huawei E5573 if possible with a 3 sim card as 3 have scrapped roaming charges-this will do your internet then perhaps buy a cheap unlocked mobile and put in a lycamobile PAYG sim card as what you put on as top up stays on with no deductions

·
Registered
8 Posts
Buy a SIM card from FREE for €19.99 per month. this gives you 20GB of data and unlimited calls in France, unlimited text to Europe and free calls to most of Europe and USA and some other countries around the world. The SIM card can be bought from a FREE SIM card machine located in some tabac shops. There is potential of two options
1 Buy a SIM card that last 1 month
2 Buy a SIM card that will last for ever until you cancel it. The money will be deducted from your credit card (the one you used to buy the SIM card).
One issue, internet is not very fast in rural areas, but in town it is very good

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks. Option 2 seems more viable, but in my experience if you use a credit card for connectivity at least the providers that we have dealt with here in Italy, they only take credit cards issued in Europe (American Express or U.S. cards are not accepted), nor will they take debit cards from an Italian bank! This might be the only stumbling block in that scenario.
We will be in a village near St. Tropez and I have looked at the coverage maps which show good coverage. (if you can trust a marketing map!).

·
Registered
8 Posts
When there isn't a FREE phone mast, then an Orange phone mast is used. This is the case in rural areas of France. FREE has 70% population coverage with it's mast.
In the past I had the same problem with credit cards issued in UK, they would not work at petrol pumps, airport parking etc. But I have found recently they seem to be more accepting of none French credit card. Saying all this, I bought the SIM card using a French credit card

1 - 14 of 14 Posts