Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a lovely Easter dinner of Roast Lamb with Mint Sauce I started thinking about foods from the "old country" that I miss here in France.

From England it has to be the Full English Breakfast including, but not limited to, sausage, chips, eggs, and beans. Start your day with one of those and you really don't need lunch, or sometimes even supper.

From the US it would be some good New York pizza (acceptable pizzas can come from Southern Connecticut and Boston). A slice or two and a can of Coke makes a great lunch.

Any others?

Banned
No 馃

I don't do English food. I do struggle to eat when going to the UK.

If I was Italian and grew up in Italy I would miss food. Italian food is the best.

I miss UK pubs though. Does beer count ?

Administrator
I miss real bagel. Even my last few times back in The Old Country, the bagel on offer are generally huge, puffy bread rolls and not the genuine chewy-textured bagel I remember from my first ever job at the counter of the Jewish bakery in town.

Registered
'you can take the boy out of Sarf London, but you can't take Sarf London outta the boy'
After a lovely Easter dinner of Roast Lamb with Mint Sauce I started thinking about foods from the "old country" that I miss here in France.

From England it has to be the Full English Breakfast including, but not limited to, sausage, chips, eggs, and beans. Start your day with one of those and you really don't need lunch, or sometimes even supper.

From the US it would be some good New York pizza (acceptable pizzas can come from Southern Connecticut and Boston). A slice or two and a can of Coke makes a great lunch.

Any others?

I know you said 'but not limited to' but you missed the most important element, bacon. That I miss. French do good sausages but not for an English breakfast. Uk black pudding is different also or a Scottish square sausage.

Other than that I would go for clic's pork pies , fish and chips and after a night on the p1ss a proper Cypriot kebab.

Registered
US to Saudi Arabia to US to Ireland and England to US to England then to France
Cheese and onion pasties (I鈥檓 vegetarian).

My OH used to bring them when he came over from Devon, but that鈥檚 out with Brexit:(

Registered
The British Corner Shop is now resuming business in the EU, we can get Irish bacon and sausages and there are numerous English pork farmers making sausages, bacon, pork pies etc locally. Super U has a UK section that has marmalades, sauces, baked beans etc etc. You don't need to go without if you don't want to ;)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The British Corner Shop is now resuming business in the EU, we can get Irish bacon and sausages and there are numerous English pork farmers making sausages, bacon, pork pies etc locally. Super U has a UK section that has marmalades, sauces, baked beans etc etc. You don't need to go without if you don't want to
There's something about sitting in a cafe with a friend and eating a Full English Breakfast with an accompanying mug of tea that borders on magic.

Registered
There's something about sitting in a cafe with a friend and eating a Full English Breakfast with an accompanying mug of tea that borders on magic.
And when the lockdown is over I will be able to do just that 500m down the road at

Registered
The British Corner Shop is now resuming business in the EU, we can get Irish bacon and sausages and there are numerous English pork farmers making sausages, bacon, pork pies etc locally. Super U has a UK section that has marmalades, sauces, baked beans etc etc. You don't need to go without if you don't want to ;)
I had a look pre-Christmas to stock up before Brexit, but nearly everything I wanted was 'out of stock' - and they were only the common lines like Heinz baked beans & tomato soup. :unsure:

I'll have another look and see if they show how much the 'add ons' will be following Brexit.

Registered
We鈥檙e rarely without a stock of marmelade, marmite, weetabix and STILTON - which beats all other blue cheeses. And yes, Smeg, beer counts ! (as in liquid lunch; Hope the hand/wrist is improving btw, sorry to read that in the other thread in my occasional catch up)....and anything with hops from Kent wins: Shepherd Neame, Harvey鈥檚 (ok, Lewes is in Sussex), but you can鈥檛 beat a proper pub ambiance. Real bacon for the full English is hard to find, but boudin noir is an improvement on black pudding imho.
Agree with Bev on proper NY bagels.

Registered
I had a look pre-Christmas to stock up before Brexit, but nearly everything I wanted was 'out of stock' - and they were only the common lines like Heinz baked beans & tomato soup. :unsure:

I'll have another look and see if they show how much the 'add ons' will be following Brexit.
Their shipping is a little crazy - either 2 kg or 30! for a full basket. And some prices are outrageous but then beggars .......

Registered
Real bacon for the full English is hard to find,
Where are you located, round here (16) we have a choice of about three English pork butchers, pays to research and ask the local ex-pats ;)

Reactions: Peasant

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My daughter, in London, found out that there was a Girl Scout Troop (US expats) there selling GS cookies. Today I got two boxes of Thin Mints in the mail!

Registered
My daughter, in London, found out that there was a Girl Scout Troop (US expats) there selling GS cookies. Today I got two boxes of Thin Mints in the mail!
If we are talking about US foods, Bush's vegetarian beans and Bernstein's Restaurant Italian dressing are two I do miss

Registered
I lived in France for five years when I was young (1974-79) and pre-teen me missed root beer and peanut butter - no idea if those are still unfindable today, with modern supply chains (root beer probably I'm guessing). Luckily if I do retire to France as I am contemplating, I no longer drink soda so that at least won't be an issue :)

I initially missed Hershey's chocolate, until I gained an appreciation for european chocolate, and then when I moved back, I missed that. However, in recent years, Milka (which was my go-to brand in France) is now pretty widely available in the USA (at least in Chicago) and even Cote d'Or, which was my absolute fave (but not widely available even in France at the time) can be found with a little digging.

Administrator
Peanut butter is pretty readily available here these days - even if it is often found on the "exotic foods" aisle in the grocery store. Root beer is a bit trickier to find - unless you're within range of Costco, which seems to carry it most of the time now. (They are supposed to be deciding on where the second Costco in France will be located, so stay tuned.)

Cote d'Or chocolate is pretty much the standard go-to brand these days - at least where I'm located in Ile de France. (I prefer Lindt - but DH is a big Cote d'Or fan.)

One thing I've always missed here has been green onions, also known as scallions, spring onions or a couple other names. They're the long straight onions that don't form a bulb at the base. Have very occasionally found the seeds to grow them here - usually called ciboule. (As in "large chives" - chives are ciboulettes.) But the local Leclerc has just started offering them in the produce section. The onions have a little bit of a bulb on them, but they work in my recipes that call for them.

Registered
I was in the U.K. a couple of weeks ago and, as usual went to do a little shopping. I bought Branston pickle, soft dark brown sugar, black treacle, golden syrup and soft brown sugar. The sugars, treacle and syrup are for my fruit and sticky ginger cakes, they are just not quite the same with molasses and normal sugar. I am planning to try to make my own version of Branston once I find a recipe I like the look of.

Peanut butter is easy to make, take equal quantities of salted and unsalted peanuts, add some nut oil of your choice to let it down and blitz to your chosen consistency. Tastes great.

Registered
I was in the U.K. a couple of weeks ago and, as usual went to do a little shopping. I bought Branston pickle, soft dark brown sugar, black treacle, golden syrup and soft brown sugar. The sugars, treacle and syrup are for my fruit and sticky ginger cakes, they are just not quite the same with molasses and normal sugar. I am planning to try to make my own version of Branston once I find a recipe I like the look of.
All of those are available in our local Super U ;)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts