Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sir
I am currently working as an assistant accountant(as per offer letter) in retail business unit since last 3 months in Dubai. But my visa is not stamped yet. But my designation as per labour contract is Sales(Level 4 semi skilled). During my tenure of this 3 months i have misplaced company cash(AED 12000) and informed to my manager. He threaten me that they gonna file a case against you and you will be sentenced to jail and advised me to deposit that money ASAP. But i didn't have that much cash and mistakes happen due to large volume of cash transaction and lack of experience in handling such circumstances. I have told my boss many time not to assign me that duty but they didn't pay attention to my request also. I am really worried about the consequences. I don't have passport also coz company got my passport. What should i do now. I need a serious suggestion as soon as possible.
Regards

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Well technically without a visa in your passport, you're working illegally. I'd go to the MOL and seek their advice. It's illegal for the company to keep your passport. 12,000 dhs is a large amount of cash to 'misplace'.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your quick suggestion. Actually my manager is trying to play a dirty game with me and put all the blame on me. He never reconciled my balance till that day for a month. And certainly found that there was sort of 12000 AED. I dont know from where that amount came sort in that ledger. I only know that one day when our boss was on leave i received 52000AED cash as per that days receipt and usually my manager deposit all the cash next day. But he deposited 40000 AED next day. I thought remaining cash was with the company or boss told to hold. After 7 days he is telling to to deposit the remaining amount otherwise i could face lots of problem. Can you guide me what should i do now. I need to inform to boss or directly go to MOL as i am illegal to work in that period as my visa is not stamped yet

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
I agree. You need to go and speak to the MOL and your embassy asap. From what you're saying, the manager has taken the cash and is setting you up to take the blame. Get and seek help and quickly before you end up in real trouble for someone else's crime.

Do you have any evidence that the whole amount was given to the manager? Signed receipts etc? When I worked in stores, when the tills were reconciled at the end of the day it was mandatory for it to be checked and signed off by two people and a handover receipt signed.

Unfortunately many companies do hold the passports of those who deal with cash to prevent thefts, so you're in a real pickle here. Go to the authorities immediately.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts